New Netflix Favorite: Dear White People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

New Netflix Favorite: Dear White People

Every couple of months Netflix emerges with a slew of TV programs called “Netflix Originals” that flash at the top of my Netflix queue like neon signs. Some of the most cult-followed and beloved TV shows have been Netflix Originals, like Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, Stranger Things, and newer seasons of Black Mirror. Like most TV shows, they’re hit or miss, especially for “fussy” watchers like me whose variety of shows is limited to reruns of Friends and National Geographic shows about dolphins narrated by Morgan Freeman.

Last weekend, while scrolling through my Netflix queue, I came across a show called Dear White People. The title intrigued me, as did the preview, as it was set on a college campus and not in a high school located conveniently next to Malibu beach with bubblegum pink lockers. The show looked refreshingly realistic compared to TV shows about 16-year-old girls chasing around a blackmailing murderer while also conveniently getting A’s in their AP classes and having perfect hair. I decided to give it a go, and hit “watch.”

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m picky about my Netflix, and I’ve given up on countless shows within the first three minutes, even shows that every other person seems to love. But Dear White People grabbed my attention immediately from the opening dialogue. I fell in love with the unique ensemble of characters, from the fearless and spunky Sam to the profound and observant Lionel, to the multi-faceted Reggie. I enjoyed how witty the dialogue was; sprinkled with pop-culture references. And I absolutely loved how authentic the show was, and how it addressed a real cultural issue in our society while being engaging and compelling at the same time.

The show trails a group of college students, most of whom identify as people of color. The story begins on the night of a black-face party given by a group of white students as an inappropriate and cruel joke and follows the characters as they respond to the party and the existence of racism and white privilege within the bounds of their Ivy-League school. The students work to create a movement on their campus against racism and social injustice, but events that unfold create further problems for the students as they try to navigate their relationships and their personal problems.

As someone who admittedly could be much better informed on racism and social injustice in this country, the show sparked my interest and inspired me to learn more about racism and inclusion on the UT campus. Even though I recognize that this show may not be for everyone, I recommend everyone give it a try. Its clever and packed with drama, but it also has relatable characters that college students will root for and identify with, and important themes that I think we could all benefit from. It’s a show that makes you think, and that’s the best kind of show.

I finished the first season in record time, and I’m now impatiently waiting for Season 2. If you need a break from studying for finals, give Dear White People a try; it won’t disappoint!

Aria is a first year Pre-Occupational Therapy student at the University of Texas at Austin.