Disco Ball High Waisted Jeans Party Fun
Disco Ball High Waisted Jeans Party Fun
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness

My Weight Loss Surgery Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

There is a lot of stigma around having surgery for weight loss, but with a BMI sitting at a dangerous number and family history of obesity-related illnesses, I knew I had to do something to change. I decided to be public about my decision because I wanted to be a resource to those considering weight-loss surgery and because I’m a terrible liar.

My health insurance covered the surgery at the time, so I began the lengthy process of becoming approved which involved adhering to a six-month diet plan, prescribed by my medical doctor, psychological evaluations, nutritionist appointments, and medical testing to ensure I could safely undergo this major surgery.

I underwent the vertical sleeve gastrectomy procedure on May 22th, 2017. In this procedure, a portion of your stomach is removed so that you cannot consume as much food in one sitting. Many lifestyle changes are required post-surgery, such as being extremely careful I’m getting enough vitamins, protein, and water. As one may expect, as you consume less, it’s possible to consume too few calories and nutrients, so regular blood work is done to ensure I don’t become deficient in any way.

I am nearly two years post-op and I’m down 100 lbs. Emotionally, the journey has been full of ups and downs. I never considered myself addicted to food, but I certainly find myself mourning the days of Sunday brunch buffets even in my smaller sized clothes. At first, it was a challenge to find activities with friends that didn’t focus on either eating or drinking. The first round of holidays were a little emotional, too, but I was able to have a bite of everything I wanted.

Now that I’m further out, this new lifestyle is easier to manage. It’s also a lot more fun to go shopping for clothes! I also have more confidence in myself; I don’t shy away from the spotlight anymore. I felt very ashamed for gaining so much weight and felt as if people didn’t value me as well as when I was thinner.

There are still body-image issues; I have excess skin on my arms and stomach that will require surgery to be removed as well as deep and dark stretch-marks that are very unsightly to me. I am still not 100% confident in a bathing suit or wearing sleeveless shirts because of this, but the ability to move more comfortably minimizes the negative feelings I have about my body. I also have a hard time accepting praise from people for the weight-loss; sometimes I feel as if people only value me now that I’ve lost weight. I also recognize that it may be that I didn’t value myself until I lost so much weight which makes me sad.

I understand that weight loss surgery isn’t for everyone and this isn’t an endorsement for anyone to undergo such a major lifestyle change, but I wanted to provide perspective that from my point of view, the positives have outweighed the cons and I’m glad that I not only had the surgery but that I choose to be public about my experience.

Overall, I’m glad I underwent the surgery. I feel healthier both physically and mentally and my self-confidence is improving little by little each day. I don’t suggest people go into weight loss surgery assuming they’ll become 100% happy with themselves as a result, but for me, it did help with some emotional issues that were bringing me down.

If you have any questions about weight-loss surgery, please feel welcome to email me at mandyvachon@utexas.edu. I’m glad to be candid and honest about my experiences with whoever would like to listen!

Finally, what would a weight loss story be without a before and after? The photograph on the left was two weeks before my surgery at my heaviest with a BMI of 44 and the photo on the right captures me 100 pounds later, 18 months post-op with a BMI of 28.

Mandy Burt

Texas '21

Mandy is a senior studying at the Moody College of Communication.
I am a third year English major hoping to become a book editor. I have been writing for HerCampus for one year, and am excited to work as a Co-Editor this year. I love reading and staying home with my cat, Luna.