Candy Canes
Candy Canes
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

My Top Ten White Elephant Gift Suggestions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The holidays and gift-giving season are upon us and that means it is time to figure out what to bring to those ugly-sweater parties and family gatherings. If you’re like my husband, you might be looking for  

1. State of Texas Bamboo Cutting Board

2. Squatty Potty Porta-Squafty Foldable Toilet Stool

• Whether your gift exchange tends to involve gag gifts or highly coveted and useful items, you can’t go wrong with the Squatty-Potty. Yes, it’s funny but once you use it, you’ll wonder how you ever managed to go to the bathroom without it ever again. There are several versions, but I like this one because it folds away so easily!

3. Multi-port Charging Station

• A couple of years ago, this item was scooped up very quickly at a gift exchange I attended. I have one in my living room and people are always commenting on how they wish they had one. There are several different charging stations, so don’t feel limited to this one!

4. Faux Fur Throw Blanket

• I know a throw blanket may seem like a toss away gift, but it’s one of my favorite gifts to give and receive. There’s nothing like wrapping yourself in an extra soft blanket when it’s cold outside.

5. Crock-Pot Lunch Warmer

• I’m not saying you could use this to reheat Kerby queso in the PCL while cramming for exams, but I’m not saying you can’t either!

6. Cocktail Kits

• Travel can be hell during the holidays. Brightens someone spirits with one of these nifty cocktail kits that fits perfectly on those carry-ons!

7. Standing 14 Outlet Power Strip

• This is the gift your uncles will be fighting over. Often these gift lists cater more to the female crowd, but this will please anyone. I know it sounds maybe a little lame, but this thing is crazy handy behind your TV stands and under computer desks.

8. Waterproof Cell Phone Cases

• Maybe we aren’t jumping head first into Barton Springs right now, but these pouches come in handy just about anywhere! You can float down the river, ski, etc. and not have to worry about your phone getting damaged. The plastic also doesn’t impede your selfie taking much at all!

9. Amazon Fire TV Stick

• This is a really cool streaming device that’s small and lightweight making it easy to transport between the dorms and home or take with you when you travel. Normally this goes for around $40, but there are usually sales where it runs for $24.99 so you can stay within your price point.

10. Ice Shot Luge

• I’m not sure if I need to say much about this except that I think this is hysterical and awesome and that I hope to see it at an upcoming gift exchange!

I hope this list gives you some outside of the box ideas on what to bring to your next gift exchange.

Mandy Burt

Texas '21

Mandy is a senior studying at the Moody College of Communication.