Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Life > Experiences

My Top 5 Trader Joe’s Frozen meals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Before I moved into my first apartment, the thought of cooking every night, especially on school nights, scared me. I usually come home drained every day, so making dinner is usually something I want to do quickly and easily. So automatically, my mind turned to frozen food. But the problem is that most frozen meals are so unhealthy, so I was in a bind. Until a lightbulb went off, and I realized… Trader Joe’s frozen meals. They’re cheap, healthier than most frozen meals, and usually take under 15 minutes to cook. So after nearly three months into my Trader Joe’s pilgrimage– here are my top five frozen Trade Joe’s meals.

1. Impossible Nuggets

Now I know these aren’t technically Trader Joe’s brand nuggets, but you can find them at TJ’s, and let me tell you– they freaking slap. Coming from a meat lover, I would say these nuggets are better than any frozen nugget I’ve ever had… even dino nuggets. They pair nicely with the Trader Joe’s fries and take around 15 minutes to make.

2. Steamed Pork and Ginger Soup Dumplings

These dumplings are the talk of the town. I have heard nothing but good things from these dumplings literally… so of course, I had to buy some during my first week of college. They are super easy to make in the microwave; if you feel fancy, you can even heat them up over the stove. 

3. Premium Salmon Burgers

Salmon burgers might sound funky if you’ve never tried one… but trust me, they’re good. These are definitely cooked on my busiest nights just because they’re so easy and fast to heat over the stove. I usually pair them with the Trader Joe’s gluten-free burger buns and some tartar sauce, and bam, you have a fantastic underwater delight.

4. Kalua Pork Spring Rolls

Boy, do I love pork. And better yet, egg rolls. These taste absolutely fantastic. One pack comes with four, perfect for a quick dinner that you can pop into the oven for less than 20 minutes.

5. Honey Walnut Shrimp

What can I say I love shrimp. Now this recipe might sound weird primarily because of the idea of walnuts (well, at least it sounded weird to me when I bought them.) But besides nuts, they are so good. Also, I have the biggest sweet tooth, so shrimp and honey… you just can’t go wrong.

Although these are my top five, that list might change by the end of the year. This is because there are so many options for the Trader Joe’s frozen section. So if you’re a college student struggling to take the time to cook… Trader Joe’s frozen meals might just be it for you.

Talisa Treviño is a Junior (2025) Journalism major and Government minor in the Moody College Honors Program at The University of Texas. She is interested in audio storytelling and feature writing. When she has down time her hobbies include watching too much Bravo reality TV shows and playing Animal Crossing New Horizons.