This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Tollywood, or Telugu cinema, is just one of the many booming movie industries in India. When many people think of Indian cinema, they automatically name Bollywood, but there are so many industries within the country that churn a variety of cinematic content in various languages.

Growing up, I found a lot of solace and comfort within Telugu movies. Not only did it allow me to practice the language through frequent exposure, but the nostalgic stories were my first gateway to love, comedy, action, and a whole lot of drama.

So in honor of that, I thought I would rank my top Telugu movies (in no particular order) from the past two decades. Don’t worry! The synopsis of each movie is spoiler-free, so if that’s something that you’re concerned about, I have you covered!

1. Hi Nanna (2023)

Synopsis: Starring Mrunal Thakur as Yashna, Nani as Viraj, and Kiara Khanna as Mahi, the movie follows the journey of a single-dad (Viraj) and his 6-year-old daughter (Mahi) along with their dog, Pluto. One day, Mahi and Pluto run into Yashna, an engaged woman. Upon meeting each other, Mahi and Yashna become the best of friends and force Viraj to talk about what happened to Mahi’s mom, a secret that grown over time. Having no other choice, Viraj dives into the story of how he met and fell in love with Varsha, Mahi’s mom. As Viraj narrates the story, there are glimpses of present-day Yashna falling in love with him. As Viraj finishes the story, the second half of the movie comprises of Yashna’s engagement and the struggles the three face in trying to form a new family.

Comments: Even though I said that this list has no particular ranking, Hi Nanna has to be my favorite movie of all time. Anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I’ve watched this movie an unhealthy amount of times. The songs/soundtrack are so heavenly, each character plays an incredibly pivotal role in weaving the story together (including the dog, Pluto), and the movie deals with mature themes such as having PTSD, divorce, being a single parent, having deep-rooted committed issues, and more.

2. jersey (2019)

Synopsis: Jersey is a sports drama film starring Nani as Arjun and Shraddha Srinath as Sarah in the lead roles. The story revolves around Arjun, a talented cricketer who aspired to play for the Indian cricket team but faced setbacks in his career due to various reasons. Despite facing challenges and being pushed into retirement, Arjun’s passion for cricket and his desire to prove himself remain strong. Encouraged by his wife Sarah and inspired by his young son, Arjun decides to make a comeback in cricket at the age of 36.

Comments: Every time I feel like unmotivated, Jersey is the first movie my mind goes to. The sheer amount of resilience that Arjun has throughout the story is so inspiring and noteworthy. Not only does it have an engaging storyline, but it also has memorable performances by the actors and leaves an emotional imprint on the audience.

3. sita ramam (2022)

Synopsis: Sita Ramam stars Mrunal Thakur as Sita Mahalakshmi, Dulquer Salmaan as Lieutenant Ram, and Rashmika Mandanna as Afreen. In 1985, Afreen, a Pakistani student in London, refuses to apologize to an Indian philanthropist for torching his car during a flag-burning incident. He demands compensation, prompting Afreen to reconcile with her estranged grandfather in Pakistan for the money. However, upon her arrival, she discovers he has passed away. She then learns of a letter from Lieutenant Ram to Sita Mahalakshmi, which she must deliver to inherit her grandfather’s wealth. In the process of finding Sita, she discovers the love story that ensued back in 1964 between Sita and Ram. Lieutenant Ram is an orphaned soldier who is stationed along the Kashmir border. One day, he begins receiving anonymous love letters from Sita, which prompts him to embark on a quest to find her. Along this process, the two fall in love, but the bigger mystery of the story remains: Why did the last letter never reach Sita?

Comments: Upon being released, Sita Ramam was received as one of the best romance movies in recent times and it is easy to see why. The lovable story between Sita and Ram, the vintage soundtrack, the aesthetic color palette, and the endearing dialogues between the characters are all factors that the audience fell for. Having initially worked in Bollywood, this movie catapulted Mrunal Thakur into being a leading actress not only in Tollywood, but also South Indian cinema.

4. dj tillu (2022)

Synopsis: DJ Tillu is a film starring Siddu Jonnalagadda as Tillu and Neha Shetty as Radhika. Tillu hopes to become a DJ, but his life takes an unexpected turn when he falls in love with a girl named Radhika. As he falls deeper in love with Radhika, the movie explores the comedic relationship with the two while specifically highlighting Tillu’s sarcasm in dire situations.

Comments: As a person who regularly sticks to the rom-com genre, DJ Tillu was a comedy movie that had me laughing at every scene. So many of the dialogues went on to become iconic within the audience, and the light-heartedness of the acting contributed to the new tide of Telugu cinema.

5. Geetha govindam (2018)

Synopsis: Geetha Govindam stars Vijay Deverakona as Govind and Rashmika Mandanna as Geetha. The story revolves around Govind, a young college professor, and Geetha, a strong-willed woman. The two meet and fall into a misunderstanding with each other. Geetha develops a negative impression of Govind; however, the marriage of their respective siblings forces them to spend time together. As their relationship develops, Govind falls deeply in love with Geetha. However, Geetha remains skeptical and hesitant due to their misunderstanding. The film follows their journey as they navigate misunderstandings, societal expectations, and their own insecurities, eventually realizing their true feelings for each other.

Comments: This movie was definitely for the family audience. The romantic-comedy side of it succeeds in pulling through as the two characters go from hating each other to falling in love. Even though this type of story has been done many times before in Tollywood, it emerged as a success due to the freshness of Vijay Deverakonda and Rashmika Mandanna’s acting.

6. mahanati (2018)

Synopsis: “Mahanati” is a critically acclaimed biographical film that portrays the life of the legendary South Indian actress Savitri, played by Keerthy Suresh. The film chronicles various aspects of Savitri’s life in the mid 1900s, including her early struggles, her meteoric rise to fame, her tumultuous relationships, and her eventual downfall. The narrative is presented through a mix of flashbacks and interviews with people who were close to Savitri.

Comments: I have distinct memories of watching this movie in theatres with my mom and grandma. I remember my grandma being very excited for the movie because Savitri was the biggest female star during the 1950s to 1960s. Even though there were minor critiques for the portrayal of Savitri’s life, the movie generally stuck to the heartfelt authenticity of the superstar’s life while capturing moments the audience did not know of.

7. Bommarillu (2006)

Synopsis: Bommarillu is a romantic comedy film that stars Siddharth as Siddhu, Genelia D’Souza as Hasini, and Prakash Raj as Siddhu’s dad. The story revolves around Siddhu, a young man who is trapped in his overprotective family’s clutches. His father has his life meticulously planned out, including his career and marriage. However, Siddhu longs for independence and dreams of finding true love. Then comes Hasini, his polar opposite. She’s a free-spirited and vibrant girl who is very much so unfiltered to her core. Their unconventional relationship forms the crux of the movie, while Siddhu learns to break free from the constraints of his family.

Comments: Bommarillu is that one movie I love putting on during a rainy day as I eat my mom’s food. In other words, I grew up watching this movie and fell in love with the bubbly character that is Hasini. Overall, the movie is celebrated for its fresh and relatable storyline, witty dialogues, and charming performances by the lead actors. In fact, it has gone down as one of the most iconic Telugu movies to ever release.

8. happy days (2007)

Synopsis: Happy Days is a coming-of-age musical drama film that features an ensemble cast including Varun Sandesh, Tamannaah Bhatia, Nikhil Siddharth, Rahul Haridas, and others. The film revolves around a group of engineering students as they navigate their dreams, struggles, and aspirations that overlap in various ways. The film highlights the importance of friendship, love, and following one’s passion amidst academic pressures and societal expectations.

Comments: Every time I would set foot in my mom’s Honda Odyssey, one of the movies that would be playing constantly was Happy Days. After watching it on repeat a million times in her minivan, I can say with full affirmation that I know every single dialogue in that movie. It’s just one of those slice-of-life movies you can never get tired of.

9. magadheera (2009)

Synopsis: Magadheera stars Ram Charan as Harsha/Kala Bhairava and Kajal as Indu/Princess Mitravindha. In 2009, Harsha, a street-bike racer, encounters a mysterious woman, Indu, whose touch triggers visions from his past life. He ultimately befriends Indu, not knowing that she’s the girl he accidentally brushed fingers with. Using this to her advantage, Indu gaslights him into thinking that she will introduce him to the girl he is trying to find. Harsha eventually finds out that Indu was playing with him all along, and they fall in love. In the second half of the movie, Harsha and Indu’s past lives are revealed. Set in 1609, Harsha was Kala Bhairava, a warrior in love with Princess Mithravindha. Facing betrayal and tragedy, their story parallels the present-day struggle against a vengeful adversary. Harsha, aided by his past memories, confronts his nemesis to rescue Indu and reconcile their past and present lives.

Comments: Even though this movie came out 15 years ago, many of my friends and I continue to fangirl over both lead actors along with the stunning music and visuals. Magadheera was ahead of its time with the reincarnation theme, while holding its roots in the romantic genre. The movie ended up becoming an industry classic, and it is still watched by many to this day.

10. pelli choopulu (2016)

Synopsis: Pelli Choopulu is a Telugu romantic comedy film that features Vijay Deverakonda as Prashanth and Ritu Varma as Chitra in the lead roles. The story revolves around Prashanth, an aspiring chef and Chitra, an ambitious woman trying to start her own business. Their paths cross when Chitra’s father, concerned about her marriage prospects, arranges a ‘pelli choopulu’ (matchmaking event) for her. During the pelli choopulu event, Prashanth and Chitra meet under unusual circumstances and start talking about their future plans for life. Despite their initial differences in personality, they discover common ground and develop a strong connection. They start a food truck business together while they explore the romantic relationship that begins to form with each other.

Comments: Watching this movie felt like a breath of fresh air in the midst of several Tollywood movies that were seemingly the same. Movie after movie, the same formula was being employed, but Pelli Choopulu escapes that formula and tries out various character tropes while highlighting the female lead’s career and dreams – something that is not done as much as it should in Telugu movies.

Even though there are only 10 movies in this list, there are still so many Tollywood movies that hold a special place in my heart. I hope you took something away from this list and enjoy any of the movies you decide to watch from here!

Hey y'all! I am currently a sophomore double majoring in Plan II & Informatics at the University of Texas at Austin. I am a published author of two fictional books, an avid Spotify listener with over 300 playlists, and have an eerily accurate Elmo impression! Thank you for stopping by to check out my articles. <3