This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I spent my freshmen year of college in Jester East, if you’re considering living here, read my honest review of the dorm — and I mean honest.

Pros

1. Location

Jester is the prime location to be on campus, as most first-year students have classes in or around the six-pack, or enjoy studying in nearby spots such as the PCL library or WCP. When you’re hungry after all that studying or just want a snack, there’s two dining halls in Jester Center, J2 Dining and JCL.

2. Community

You’re surrounded by other freshmen! As a freshman Jester is one if not the most popular spots for freshmen at UT. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed or lonely the first few weeks of college but being around people your age and likely just as scared as you are, helps lessen the burden. My RA was/is very nice! And the Jester RA’s, as a collective, likewise plan fun events, from movie nights to succulent socials!

3. Safety

There was never a circumstance in which I felt at danger. I felt safe here, as our UT EIDs (cards) were only open to our assigned floors and everyone had a unique key to their dorms.

Cons

1. Noisy neighbors

My roommate and I chose to room in Jester East instead of West since we heard the horror stories of how loud and chaotic West could be…only to get stuck next to the noisiest and most inconsiderate neighbors in existence. They sang karaoke at 3 a.m., always slammed their door, etc. Some people might say it’s all part of the experience but to that I say, I have a feeling you were one of those rude neighbors yourself (ouch).

2. Community bathrooms

I didn’t have the luxury of having a private bathroom. I will note the bathrooms were cleaned daily, and the janitorial staff is great! However, those who used the bathroom were monsters. From clumps of hair left on the floor of the showers, people taking FaceTime calls in a private place, to flushing tampons down the toilet (more than once, and clogging all 4 toilets) it got *very* messy in the restroom.

3. Touring Season

Beware of the touring students! They stare at us as if we’re animals in the zoo. I understand they’re excited to call UT their home/school but they really need to tone it down.

Final Thoughts

I managed to survive my freshmen year of college while living in Jester East! Would I live here again? No, I’m moving out. It wasn’t the best of times, but it wasn’t the worst either. I give Jeast 3/5 stars.

Justice Morris (she/her) is a second-year history and Mexican American Latino Studies double major at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also pursuing a Core Texts and Ideas certificate. Justice is a passionate writer; she enjoys sharing her thoughts on the arts, life as a college student, and her cultural experiences as a Chicana woman. You can find more of her work in The Liberator, the official publication of the College of Liberal Arts.