Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

My Student Budget Friendly Skincare Products!

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Up until the end of high school, I never took skincare seriously. I was just magically blessed with great skin by the skincare Gods. That quickly changed freshman year, when my skin became unhappy and started demanding my attention. Learning about my skin type and finding the best routine seemed easy enough, but doing it on a college student budget was a different story. After many skincare experiments and wasted dollars, I have come up with my trusted list of affordable skincare products for normal to dry skin, and since I refuse to gatekeep, here it is!

I usually alternate products between the summer and winter to accommodate my skincare needs as the bipolar Texas weather tends to take a toll on my skin. My daily face washes are my holy grail. In the winter I use the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid Cleansing Gel, which is about $9 at Target. This keeps my skin hydrated and happy throughout the winter. When summer comes around, I use the Naturium Fermented Rice Enzyme Cleaner, which is the perfect Tatcha Rice Wash dupe. This cleanser prevents me from getting too oily but also makes sure I’m not drying out my skin. The best part is that it is only $18, instead of $36, which is a win for my college student wallet!

Moisturizer is definitely the most important part of my daily routine. My high school self believed that keeping my face dry and unmoisturized was the best option to prevent unnecessary grease. ~Horrible, I know!~ Now that I know better, here are my favorite moisturizers! During the winter I swear by the La Roche-Posay Double Repair Moisturizer. It costs about $20 at Target, but it lasts a while since a little goes a long way! This moisturizer is amazing and my skin is always glowing after I use it. I never have to worry about pilling or grease after a few hours since my skin just soaks it up. The Peach Slices Citrus-Honey Aqua Glow is the perfect moisturizer for the humid Texas summers. It runs for $12 at Ulta and seamlessly nourishes my face without clogging up my pores. 

Finally, I always have to include lip balm as a part of my skincare routine. The Glossier Balm Dotcom is by far the best lip balm I have come across. A little bit goes a long way and my $12 investment has lasted me a year and a half. A great plus is that there are plenty of tinted balms that add a cute pop to a bare face! 

After a few years of trial and error, this is the skincare routine I live by. I hope this helps some of you on your skincare journeys! If you are a broke college student with normal to dry skin, give these products a try, I swear you’ll love them (and the prices too☺)!!

Hey y'all! I am Sonali and I am a third year Economics major, and minoring in Business. I am originally from the Bay Area, California. When I'm not in school or writing, you can find me spending my time around Austin and discovering the best taco shops this city has to offer! :)