Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

My preparations for Harry Styles’ “As It Was”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As I await for the clock to hit 6pm CST, I sit with friends in a comfy coffee shop. Surrounded by greenery, the smell of coffee brewing, and a window allowing for people watching on South Lamar Street. I drink my iced vanilla latte with many expectations of Harry Styles’ new song in my mind.

I completed all of my assignments for classes and tasks in order to mentally prepare for As It Was. I put my headphones on. Loaded the Spotify application on my MacBook and waited. Once 6pm rolled around, I felt this almost nervousness to press play on Spotify. I have been anticipating this song and his upcoming album, and the first song is a glimpse of the album. When I first heard the upbeat rhythm begin, I could not help but get lost in the sound. 

A nostalgic feeling overwhelmed my body. It was almost as if I had heard this song before. As I listened, I was reminded of the initial feeling I felt before when Harry released his album, Fine Line. It was pre-pandemic. It was my first semester of freshman year of college; a time of pure bliss. As the song continued, Harry repeated numerous times, “You know it’s not the same as it was.” This was true.

The last time Harry released a song was a different time. One that shares no resemblance to today. I could not help but get emotional realizing this. Over two years later this song represents to me a light at the end of the tunnel. While I was hoping for a raw emotional song, I came to recognize I needed a song like this. A song that is fun and portrays the feeling of closing a chapter with a new journey insight. 

This is a new Harry era and the song depicts exactly that.

Lauren is a Junior studying Government and Economics at the University of Texas. An avid coffee drinker and sushi fanatic, Lauren enjoys exploring the city, attending concerts, and discovering new music. Aside from writing, in her free time she can be seen reading, having weekly movie nights, and spending time with friends and family.