Life > Experiences

My New Favorite Manifestation: Lucky Girl Syndrome Explained 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Stemming from one of the most universal sayings: “fake it till you make it,” lucky girl syndrome is the new faking it. People practice this state of being by repeating mantras like “everything always works out for me, no matter where I am in life. I am so lucky.” Doing so is a way to manifest opportunities, health, riches, and overall good luck.

After gaining popularity on social media, particularly TikTok, users are emphasizing the importance of ‘being delusional’ and daydreaming until fantasies become reality. This way of thinking can be extremely empowering because you can become your own biggest cheerleader. Lucky girl syndrome reflects the core ideas of laws of attraction, only rebranded into a state of perpetual relevance. I would say this refresh was a success because it has the Gen Z girls writing furiously in their notes apps and commenting up a storm on manifestation videos.

I have implemented lucky girl syndrome manifestations into my own life as well. I find that the concept of speaking things into existence resonates with me because it builds a sense of confidence. The strong notion of believing in my success and luck is powerful because I can then internalize those feelings. Saying the mantras in a declarative manner with strong intention is healing. The practice brings a sense of self-assurance back into my life.

Taking it a step further, I have brought lucky girl syndrome off the pages of my journal and into my daily life. I started doing lucky girl moments of the day with my roommates where every day we text each other a picture of something we have manifested or something we are thankful for. This week, despite having been together every day because of the winter storm, we have been texting non-stop lucky girl moments. Most of our pictures have been screenshots of school cancellations or deadline extensions, but it has been refreshing to focus on the small moments of good in our lives.
Lucky girl syndrome has put things into perspective for me. I have become my own biggest fan and I’ve been able to recognize the things I am thankful for daily. I am a big advocate for lucky girl syndrome and I would encourage everyone to give it a try.

Katlynn is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin. She has a love for sustainability, fashion, writing, music and activism. Her goal is to pursue a career in entertainment writing. Additionally, her other passions include yoga, chess and taking care of her dachshund-chihuahua mix, Margo.