This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

These are a list of tips I learned and have personally worked for me. Please remember everybody has a different mind, body, and soul. Not everything works for everybody. If these tips don’t work, I hope they help you lead to the discovery of techniques that do work on yourself. 

45-15 technique

A spin-off of the Pomodoro technique. Study for 45 minutes straight. Control all the distractions you can, silence your phone, be in a quiet setting, don’t let anyone distract you, and don’t even think about letting your mind wander around. After the 45 minutes, take a 15-minute break. Try not to relax with anything addicting like a 30-minute episode or TikTok if you know you’re not able to be strict with yourself. Instead, try to follow a 15-minute meditation or walk around your study area and stretch your limbs a bit. Let your mind wander around a bit; don’t think about what you just read. Don’t think about that assignment or test. Just. Don’t think. After the break, take 5 minutes to write down everything you remember from the 45-minute study session. Write as many details as you can, and if you memorized something word for word, try to write it down in your own words. After that, restart the cycle. Once you hit a stopping point like the end of your study time for the day or the end of a chapter or unit, go back to the list of things you were able to recall and wrote down. Compare those lists to the main points and concepts. Take note of what you forgot or didn’t entirely understand and plan to restudy that next time. Remember your brain can’t stay focused for long, those 15-minute breaks are crucial for your mind to be effective. 

Eat a snack. 

Whether it’s a drink or a snack keep your hunger away from your mind. Make sure to eat full meals so you’re not starving while studying. If need be, have a snack while you study. Whether it be fruit, dry breakfast cereal, veggies, or (only if it helps) candy with a low amount of sugar. Sipping on juice or water also helps keep your mind off of food. But please, eat your full meals and stay hydrated. A dehydrated or hungry mind is not a good one to study with. Most campuses have a free outpost with food and other necessities if you need them. Whatever happens, please stay healthy. 

Take a walk. OUTSIDE.

I get it; I don’t like nature either. I’m not banishing you to the middle of the woods to take a 10-mile hike. Just leave your backpack in your room and go outside. Choose your time of day (or night, but stay safe!) to take your walk. Bring a friend or two if you like, but make sure not to change destinations. While you walk, try not to listen to something with your earbuds or headphones. Let the outside sounds engulf you. Maybe find a bench and sit down for a minute. Close your eyes and just empty your mind. Think of nothing, absolutely nothing. Feel the pressure lift off your brain and breathe the fresh air. Live in the moment.

Fidget Toy

Please don’t take out your fidget toy that will echo across the room, or disturb your neighbors. Personally, I like to use a flippy chain or a fidget ring. They’re both small and quiet and most likely won’t distract you or your neighbors. I love to study while using one. It helps me not get distracted and keeps my other hand from picking at my scalp from anxiety. 

I know these are some of the most basic tips, but they’re that for a reason. 

My Queens, Royal Theys, and Kings,

I hope you study hard,

I am cheering you on.

Alma Perez

Texas '25

Hello, ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ I am a current student at UT Austin majoring in Neuroscience. I plan to write about the many experiences I have lived through in the first 19 years of my life. I hope you read and enjoy it! p.s. yes, I have a therapist and psychiatrist, don't worry <3