My 5 Favorite Ghibli Movies (And Why You Should Watch Them)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

From their ethereal stories to their mystical animation, each Ghibli movie is a masterpiece. While I adore each and every one of Hayao Miyazaki’s creations, what follows is a list of my five favorite Ghibli masterpieces and why they are worth watching.

1. Princess Mononoke

A story of love and destruction, Princess Mononoke emphasizes the profound impacts that humanity has on the world around us, and the extent to which our exploitation of natural resources wreaks havoc on the environment. Through exploring the contrast between nature and humanity through the eyes of a human princess raised by wolves, Hayao Miyazaki communicates the spiritual aspects of nature that are perhaps more human, and more empathetic, than humanity itself. A film with increasing relevance, I believe that watching Princess Mononoke offers certain insights into the importance of valuing, preserving, and respecting the natural world.

“You cannot alter your fate. However, you can rise to meet it.”

-Princess Mononoke (1997)  

2. Howl’s Moving Castle

In Howl’s Moving Castle, Miyazaki paints a picture of love that transcends the boundaries of age and time. A film defined by its protagonist, Sophie, Howl’s Moving Castle cautions against romantic obsession and corrupted power. Through standing up to the injustices around her, Sophie’s view of herself transforms as she comes to acknowledge her own inner beauty and her ability to positively impact the world around her, in turn displaying the importance of self respect and the powerful healing of self love.

“They say that the best blaze burns brightest when circumstances are at their worst.”

-Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)

3. Kiki’s Delivery Service

Kiki’s Delivery Service follows the story of a young witch named Kiki who leaves home to harness her otherworldly talents. A charming coming of age story, Kiki’s Delivery Service emphasizes the importance of perseverance and the beauty of resilience, reminding viewers that failure paves the road for growth and future success.

“Just follow your heart, and keep smiling.”

-Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)

4. Spirited Away

Perhaps one of the most well known Ghibli films, Spirited Away explores Chihiro’s experiences as she is transported to a supernatural realm. She must learn to fend for herself and rely on her own intuition in order to save her parents, and through her adventures viewers witness the importance of both forgiveness and carefully placed trust.

“Once you’ve met someone you never really forget them.”

-Spirited Away (2001)

5. Ponyo

A story of two worlds, the land and the sea, Ponyo portrays the chance encounter of a human boy and a fish girl. An exploration of jealousy, friendship, and understanding, Ponyo highlights the importance of stepping outside of your own comfort zone and worldview to help the ones you love.

“I love Ponyo whether she’s a fish, a human, or something in between.”

-Ponyo (2008)

Chandler is a senior at UT double majoring in English and Chinese while pursuing a Certificate in Global Management. She currently serves as one of HerCampus Texas' Campus Correspondents and adores live music, dogs, friends, and mindful living ♥
I am a third year English major hoping to become a book editor. I have been writing for HerCampus for one year, and am excited to work as a Co-Editor this year. I love reading and staying home with my cat, Luna.