This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

It’s that time of the semester already. You’re swamped with essays, group projects (ugh), and midterms. You hardly have time to get all of your work done, so reading for fun? Forget it. But pop one of these in your backpack for when you take a well-deserved study break, because these books are must-reads for any college girl. Book Club, anyone?

1. The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan

This is my go-to book recommendation and probably the best thing I’ve ever read. It’s a collection of essays and stories by Keegan and was compiled and published after she died in a car accident five days after her college graduation. Interested yet? She really puts things in perspective, has a beautiful way with words, a clear zest for life, and a wise-beyond-her-years outlook. I read this once a year as a reminder of what’s important, and I guarantee you’ll love it.

1. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

Memoirs are one of my favorite genres. And I’m clearly a sucker for a tear-jerker. This one’s about the year following this woman’s husband’s death. It’s honest, but at the same time really beautiful. It looks at grief in a very real sense, and while it’s certainly not a beach read, it’s worth it. Just keep the Kleenex on hand.

1. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

One that won’t make you cry! This one is perfect if you like a mystery with a twist. That’s all I can say about the plot, for fear of giving anything away. This one is very reminiscent of Gone Girl, and the whole time I was trying to figure out what really happened (I didn’t get it right). Move this one to the top of your list though, because a movie just came out and you’re going to want to have read it first.

1. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

It’s poetry, don’t freak out. For as long as I can remember, I’ve despised poetry. It always felt very haughty too me. But I finished Milk and Honey in two days, and it’s already made the rounds among my friends. Milk and Honey has me feeling things I didn’t know I felt, and maybe it’s because I’m an emotional wreck, but I definitely cried a few times. Advice on this one, have sticky notes handy to mark your favorites. You’ll want to revisit them someday.

Put down the textbook and pick up one of these instead every once in a while. Or stock up on books now and go wild over winter break. Either way, these are definitely must-reads.

Caroline is a third year psychology and French major. Her hobbies include napping, crafting, and shopping. She wears entirely too much navy, spends entirely too much time at coffee shops, and laughs entirely too much at her own jokes (but hey, someone’s gotta do it). You can find her @carolineeelise if you feel so inclined.
Eleni is a nerd who prefers to be called an intellectual. She loves pondering philosophical questions and reflecting on life as a twenty-something, both of which she does on her blog: sharingimpressions.com. Anyone creative and curious is welcome.