Mr. Texas Freshman Contest 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

And the winner is…. 
Olly Brown! 
Congratulations! He will be moving up to finals to compete agains all the winners across the nation!

Name: Olly Brown

Hometown: League City, TX

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Why should our readers vote for you as Mr. Texas Freshman? You should vote for me because I A), have amazing person hygiene, B), have awesome taste in music and clothes, C), can throw a frisbee like you wouldn’t believe, and D), can serenade you to your heart’s desire.  I could go on, but I wouldn’t want to make you read too much.  Oh yeah, and I have blue eyes.

Which Disney princess is hottest and why? I’d have to say that Ariel is that hottest, post-fish of course.  Despite how strange it is to even think of a Disney princess in that way.  I kinda have a thing for red heads and I’m a big fan of bikinis, believe it or not…

UT girls are best because... UT girls are the best because they’re from Texas!  They always know how to have a good time and keep it classy, (for the most part).  Not to mention, they’re usually half genius, which is actually a turn on for me.  There’s a reason I go to UT, and it’s not for the weather.

What do you think girls should look for in a good boyfriend?  I think/hope that girls look for a guy that’s funny, understanding, caring, and just nice overall.  On the physical side, tall, blonde, and blue eyes?  Who could ask for more.  Plus, who can resist a musician who will serenade them on demand?  That’s always been a plus for me.

What are the best qualities a parent could share with their children and why? The most important thing a parent teaches their child is to have some kind of self confidence or self worth.  If you don’t grow up believing in yourself, then you probably won’t start any time soon.  And if you aren’t confident, you won’t take any risks.  And I believe that like is all about risks. 

What are your goals and ambitions in life? My biggest goal in life involves my music and being able to support myself and my future family off of it.  However, if that doesn’t ever come through, I’m working on my Mechanical Engineering degree so I’ll have some kind of boring life to fall back on.  That being said, I plan on being happy and supporting my family in the end no matter what.  

Name:
Colton Perry

Hometown: Spring, Texas

Major: Undeclared

Why should our readers vote for you as Mr. Texas Freshman? Readers should vote for me as Mr. UT Freshmen because I’m a nice guy that will help out anyone that needs my help. I’m also smart and love being around people. Plus I’m funny, so that could be a reason to vote for this guy.

Which Disney princess is hottest and why? I would probably say Mulan because not only can she be beautiful and all, she can also be a total badass and kick some ass when she needs to. She’s no damsel in distress, she’s just a damsel, which what every guy wants.

UT girls are best because... They are not only beautiful and fun loving, but since they got into UT, they are obviously intelligent, which in my book is sexy since you can have a stimulating conversation.

What do you think girls should look for in a good boyfriend? Girls look for a guy that can take care of them when they are looking for a boyfriend, whether that be physical, emotionally, and psychologically. But they also look for a guy that can recognize when she doesn’t need to be taken care of, but just to be there for a good laugh and a nice conversation. Girls also look for a boyfriend who, honestly, they could spend hours talking to them.

What are the best qualities a parent could share with their children and why? The best qualities that a parent could share with their children is obviously love. If a child knows that they’re parents love them, they can also get through almost any situation that comes up in love. But besides for the obvious, another great  quality a parent could share with their children is confidence in decision making for that is probably one of the best qualities can have in life. Also, a sense of humor is never a bad thing to have, so if you have a funny parent, hopefully that will spread to you as the child.

What are your goals and ambitions in life? I hope to eventually work in the theatre business, whether its as an arts administrator for a theatre, an actor, a director, a producer, or even a playwright. I also want to be a caring father one day and find a woman that I could spend the rest of life with.

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.