Anna Schultz-Friends On Hike
Anna Schultz-Friends On Hike
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Missing Summer? Here are 5 Outdoor Spots You Can Visit Austin Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’re seriously missing summer. With the weather warming up, all I want right now is to be sipping on lemonade and sitting in the sun all day. Here in the Texas Hill Country, there’s no lack of beautiful places where you can enjoy beautiful weather and maybe even get your steps in. These five parks and springs are some of my top places to visit when the sun makes an appearance. 

Zilker Park 

Zilker is definitely one of the most popular outdoor hangout spots amongst UT students due to its proximity to campus. The park has great views of the city and adequate room for lounging with friends or finishing homework. It’s also a great place to take a walk or run while being fairly protected from Austin traffic. 

Barton Springs

You can enjoy all Barton Springs has to offer at a small fee and a short drive. Take the refreshing polar plunge into the chilly spring water and lay out your towel on the grass lawn to enjoy a peaceful afternoon after classes.

Deep Eddy Pool 

While it’s a bit out of the way if you don’t have your car on campus, the Deep Eddy Pool is great a great weekend trip when the weather is at its best here in Austin. Fun fact: it’s the oldest swimming pool in Texas and has a bathhouse that dates back to the Great Depression. 

McKinney Falls State Park 

If lounging by the pool isn’t enough for you, take a day trip to McKinney Falls State Park. Located around 20 minutes from campus, McKinney Falls offers several hiking trails and natural spring water for cooling off. The park is also perfect for bringing your furry friend if being a pet parent in the city is getting a bit overwhelming (speaking as a dog mom, take my word for it here).

Pedernales Falls State Park 

This park has it all. Take a weekend camping trip with your besties, or simply take a swim in the river. You won’t be disappointed with this park’s views (and stay for the sunset if you want a picture-perfect ending to your day outdoors).

Casey is a third-year student at the University of Texas at Austin pursuing a journalism degree and a business Spanish certificate. She is currently a food editorial intern at Camille Styles and where she writes and publishes food and lifestyle pieces. In her free time, Casey enjoys cooking, traveling, and practicing yoga. IG: caseymckee_ Blog: KeenlyCasey.com Twitter: casey.mckee7