This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Meet Mallory Decherd!

Mallory is freshman Kappa Delta from Longview, TX. When she’s not listening to bands your dad loves, she can be found stalking Cole Sprouse on Twiiter or planning her next vacay. We sat down with her to get some insight into freshman year.  

What has been the weirdest way you’ve procrastinated?

-One time I memorized 206 digits of pi instead of doing my homework because some guy told me he could memorize more than me. There was no way I was going to lose, absolutely no way. But when I got to school the next day, he hadn’t even memorized past 3.14. At least I won, right?

What is your go-to music?

I like so many types. Although I’d have to say the genre that never lets me down is classic rock. Particularly Led Zeppelin!! Rock has meaning that you can’t find in many other genres, but it also has a lot of fun. It’s a good mixture and really makes your soul happy.

If you could trade lives with someone who would it be and why?

-This one is hard because I love history. How cool would it have been to have listened to MLK’s “I have a dream” speech, or see President Lincoln get inaugurated?! But if I had to live someone’s life for a day, I’d probably choose Walt Disney. It’d be fun to get to see the creation of the material that is the basis of everyone’s childhood!  

What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done?

-“Climbed ‘forbidden’ steps at a monastery in Spain.” There was a fence around them so tourists couldn’t climb on them, but my friends and I discovered that if you climbed around the back, there was a small hole in the fence that you could squeeze through! It was slightly terrifying, but I made it through—just for the insta pic.

What is something you have always been scared to do, but have always wanted to anyways?

Ask a guy out! Girls never really take initiative and do stuff like that, and I’ve always wanted to see how it would go if I did it one day. I don’t know if I ever will though because… yikes

What do you love/hate most about being from a small town?

-“The community feel. I love how close you are with everyone. It gives you a chance to connect and really get to know everyone on a deeper level. On another note, I hate that it is so small so there is literally nothing to do but eat!”

What was your favorite age to be?

“probably 8 or 9 because that is the age you slowly become independent. It is an easy time in your life because the only thing you have to worry about is your friend group. You have no worries!”

How has your transition into UT been like?

-“It has been SO fun. There are so many options and things to do. Especially in Austin! I’m really into music so Austin is definitely the city for me. Also I’ve never really gotten homesick so it hasn’t been hard living in a new place so far!”

What is it like being in Greek Life?

-“I’ve always been a little skeptical towards greek life because of the stereotypes, but I’ve really enjoyed it so far! It can be time consuming, but it is definitely worth it. I have met so many amazing people right off the bat! Without it, transitioning to the college life would have been so much harder. It is a lot of fun, specifically the date events. The date events force you to go out of your comfort zone do something that is a little nerve-wracking but also so much fun!”

Hi! I've lived in Texas all my life. Im an international relations major and pre-law student. I love running, swimming, cycling, working out, and just being outdoors