Meet Campus Leader: Amanda Booth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Campus Leader: Amanda Booth

While you can find Amanda planning The Ladybirds Spirit Organization social calendar or eating sushi, there is so much more to this go-getter. She is co-president of J-Street U’s Texas chapter and is a little obsessed with politics. Check out what she is all about:

Why UT, why your major, and why J-Street U?

I chose UT because, out of all of the great communications schools across the country, UT’s had the best bang for my buck.

I decided to major in journalism because of the vast range of skills the degree plan offers. Along with writing, reporting, filming, and editing, journalism majors also have the chance to take classes about coding, graphic design, advertising, and issues plaguing our society from across I-35 to across the world.

My Jewish identity is deeply intertwined with my relationship with Israel. I had my Bat Mitzvah in Israel, and it was in Israel where I learned how to feel at peace with my Judaism. Israel inspires me to act on my Jewish values, and J Street is my way of holding a state I love accountable for its actions in a way that is both patriotic and critical. The American Jewish community has a huge say in what happens overseas, and that empowers me to take political action.

What are you passionate about?

I’m always down for conversations about politics, social justice, and digital engagement.

What are your top three favorite restaurants in Austin?

Uchiko, Foreign & Domestic, and III Forks. I’m not as bougie as my favorite restaurants might suggest. I promise.

What is one thing you wish you could change about yourself?

I need to stop stressing about my future.

If you could travel anywhere in the world with anyone (dead or alive), who would it be and where would you go?

I want to go to Italy and get wine drunk with Ivanka Trump to find out how she really feels about her father.

What spirit food?

Bell pepper is undoubtedly my spirit food. I can’t go a week without sautéing some bell peppers, and I hate cooking.

What is your go-to fun fact about yourself?

I met Kelly Clarkson when I was five and she told me I was a good hugger.

What do you want to accomplish before you die?

Writing a book would be cool. I don’t know if I have the attention span for that, though.