Matt King Puts His Vines on Top

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

There are two types of people in this world: those who jam out to Beyoncé in the car, and liars.  While everyone may be guilty of some intense lip-syncing when Queen Bey comes on, they may not be used to thousands of people actually watching them in action, especially not repeatedly in a six second loop.  Matt King is a little more used to the attention: with over 330,000 Revines, Matt’s most popular vine (where he pulls some crazy faces in the car as “Love on Top” plays on the radio) has taken the senior advertising major to small-screen stardom.

Her Campus Texas:  How did you get started on Vine?

Matt King:  Just for fun. I didn’t take it seriously at all, but I started to get more ballsy with my personality and humor as I became more familiar with the app and all of its creative possibilities.

HCTX:  Who are some of your biggest comedy influences?

MK:  Steve Martin and Jim Carrey, hands down.  They were the original goofballs of comedy and I owe so much to their comedic ingenuity for my creations.  As well as the incredibly talented Viners I’ve met over the past month.

HCTX:  How does it feel to know that over 300,000 people (and counting!) got to see you jam out to Beyoncé in the car?

MK:  It feels like your birthday party as a little child: you’re super, super excited that it’s your special day and you love being the center of attention, but then everybody awkwardly makes prolonged eye contact with you while singing happy birthday and you just feel like crying. However, I’ve overcome the awkwardness and am now entirely grateful for the attention.

HCTX:  How have your family and friends reacted to all of this?

MK:  They HATE it.  Just kidding.  My parents love telling all other the suburban parents about it on their morning trips to Starbucks.  My brother keeps nagging at me to make more vines.  My friends jokingly introduce me as their Vine celebrity friend, but they know I’m still the same old silly Matt.

HCTX:  Where do you get the inspiration for your vines? Are they planned or more spontaneous?’

MK:  Good question. I think most of the inspiration comes from my personality in general and the creative friends I’ve surrounded myself with over the years. It seems my more successful vines are the spontaneous ones, but there’s definitely a balance in them all.

HCTX:  Have you been recognized in public for your vines?

MK:  Yes!  Numerous times.

HCTX:  How did you react to that?  Did it catch you off guard?

MK:  It was pretty strange at first, but it’s so humbling to see how my vines have connected with people.  Don’t hesitate to say hi if you ever see me in public!

HCTX:  Do you think that Vine and the recognition you’re receiving will help you in the future? Or is this just more of a hobby?

MK:  It’s already helping!  I don’t want to say too much now, but I’ve received a handful of licensing agreements, commercial deals, and collab partnerships in the past few weeks.  Big things are on their way.

HCTX:  What advice would you give to someone just starting on Vine?

MK:  Experiment and be creative.  Also, explore and follow interesting accounts.  There are tons of incredibly talented Viners out there that don’t receive as much recognition as they deserve, so avoid limiting your amusement to just the popular page.

HCTX:  Can we expect some summer-themed vines now that the year is over?

MK:  Yes!  I plan on making this summer the greatest one ever told, so get ready for some dope magic.

To see more of Matt King and his hilarious vines, check out https://vine.co/Matt.King