Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Love in College: The Beginning of Something Great Part 3

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I woke up the next morning with a smile on my face then it hit me. I would probably never see this guy again in my life. It was nice though. There was a certain comfort in knowing I had created such good memories with a stranger, a stranger in my city. I got out of bed, took a shower, and started my daily routines. This included studying, going to Starbucks, and just relaxing. I was taking a summer course through UT, so I was always on my laptop, and often times I would go sit at Starbucks to get some things done. The Starbucks in my city is in the middle of everything, and on this day, I just so happened to recover from the night before by doing some assignments and drinking my favorite summer tea. 

Once I arrived at the café, I sat outside. I placed my phone on the table along with my laptop and then that’s when I heard it. I heard a buzzing noise. I picked my phone up and saw I had a notification. It was from snapchat, and the name read Aiden Kane. I looked up from my phone speechless…literally no words. I couldn’t believe I forgot that I added him on snapchat as well. I wasn’t disappointed though. I think deep down I wanted him to attempt to reach me in some way. I opened the message and if I can remember correctly, he asked me how my day was going and what I was doing. I kept the conversation going, telling him I was tired, and that I came to Starbucks to study and do homework. He was surprised, he said he had never actually met someone who went to a café and actually did homework. I literally laughed out loud while staring at my phone. He asked if he could stop by to see me after his workout, and I said yes with no hesitation. 

I had a friend that lived nearby that goes to TAMU. He stopped by Starbucks to sit with me and study. What he didn’t know was that after he had dropped me off the night before, I actually got picked up by the very guy he tried to prevent me from leaving with. So yes. I was very nervous for Aiden to come visit me. Nevertheless, as soon we got down to business with our classes, I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was him.

Now, I figured I had overestimated his looks because I had only seen him in the dark, but that wasn’t the case. Let’s just say, one of my favorite looks is his after-gym body. He was wearing a cut off t-shirt with vintage Nike shorts and some Nike shoes. His hair was a perfect mess and he had one curl that fell perfectly down his forehead to resemble that of Clark Kent. He sat next to me, began to ask me how I was doing, and what I was working on. He asked for a drink recommendation, and then proceeded to go inside to get it. While inside, my friend stared aimlessly at my face. As I tried to not contact his eyes, all he had to say was to be careful, to guard myself at all costs. I nodded with agreement as Aiden made his way back.

We finished our drinks and shared a few laughs, and finally he was ready to go home to shower. I walked him to his car. As soon as we made it to the front end he pulled me in by the waist and kissed me, with no hesitation. It was unexpected. We looked at each other’s faces, studying one another for about a minute or two. He then broke the silence with laughter. I asked what was so funny, and he explained how it was crazy. He was surprised to meet a stranger, and then to have so much to say to this person without even knowing them. He told me that he had never met someone he could talk to the way he talked to me. He was surprised to have shared his dreams with me, and then to have me believe in him without even knowing who he truly was. I explained to him that wasn’t the case. In fact, I knew exactly who he was. He was just like all of us. I told him that everyone has dreams, everyone has their own timeline, but it’s a matter of how much you want it and what you will do to get it that truly matters. He laughed, and then proceeded to explain how much he admired me for living on my own and chasing after my dreams in Austin, Texas. He said he admired my ability to leave our small town. To create something more of myself. He said he wanted that. I couldn’t help but stare into his deep green eyes as he began to start his car. He asked what I was planning on doing later that evening, and as I explained to him that I had nothing scheduled, he said he would snap me. 

As I packed my things up to head home and get ready for bed, I got that snap he spoke about. He asked if I wanted to do something that night, and of course I agreed all too quickly. I forgot how my parents loved to lock the house doors at a certain time, and how much they would hate for me to leave and come home not knowing where I was and who I was with. I knew what I wanted to do and what I had to do in order to get it. There was a pleasure to what I did in order to get out of my house, an adrenaline even. I got dressed, waited for all the lights to go out in my home, and that’s when I opened my window, and hopped on out. I told him to expect me at the park across the street, and as I walked to the playground, I heard his truck, right on time.

He took me to his friend’s house, and then explained to me how literally all his friends were years older than him. He also explained how he had never brought a girl around to meet any of his friends, which I didn’t believe at first. Now I can say otherwise. But the night didn’t end there. We shared laughs and conversations with his friends until it was time to go. We went to his truck, he started the engine, looked over at me and stared. He asked what’s next. 

What was next? I didn’t know, I knew I shouldn’t even be there. I told myself and friends that I was supposed to have a fun single summer. That I was supposed to enjoy myself being alone. I looked at him and as he began to drive, I started the conversation. I wanted to get the point across that anything that was to happen with us was to be temporary, no strings attached. I wanted him to know that I couldn’t have another relationship, especially long distance. I didn’t have it in me. He listened and respected my honesty. He wanted to take me home, and that’s when I told him what I really wanted…just to be friends…friends with benefits. 

To be continued…

University of Texas 2022 HDO Livin and lovin life