This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Do you know what love is? Have you ever wondered what it feels like to have someone love you with all your flaws, with everything you have? I still haven’t really figured out a word for word definition of what love really is, in fact I think I’m still figuring it all out. The fact of the matter is, I wouldn’t even be thinking of the word love if it wasn’t for him…he is showing me what it’s like to be loved. He is showing me what it’s like to be cherished like the queen he has constantly told me I am. He is the guy that I met over one year ago that sent my world over the loop and changed my life forever. It’s been over a year. Over one whole year since my life did a 360. And this is our story. 

A lot of people thought we were crazy, a lot of people thought that it was just another fling. I was getting way too good at those so called “flings” in the summer of 2019 after my freshman year ended at UT. It all started when I went home for the summer. I was fresh off my first year, I was as free as I could be. I had a “good” group of partying friends (good is an overstatement), and I even was single. I wasn’t looking for anything too serious, I was just having fun. Okay scratch that…I was having A LOT of fun. I partied my little heart out that summer, I also worked two jobs and was hitting the gym and taking a summer course for UT online. I was seriously all about me. 

One night I was at my second job, and I got a text from my group chat of party friends. Of course, they were updating me on the plans for the night, and since they bailed on night swimming the day before, they convinced me to go to this pool party. So as soon as it hit 10pm, I zoomed home, changed into a bathing suit, did some quick makeup and then we were off. It was a house party and they happened to have a pool, so it was nice. When we got there, we met up with some more friends and started having fun. I felt a bit awkward since the only people I knew there were my small group of friends. Other than that, the night was going smooth. I put my feet in the water, and I just so happened to look up and see a cute looking guy standing across the yard. He stood at a good 5’ 9”, fair skin, dark brown curly hair. He was so cute. I couldn’t help but mumble the words, “I need to know him”. So yes, I did what any sane girl would do…I followed him to the bathroom. It’s not as bad as it sounds I promise! I told my friend that I needed to use the bathroom, knowing he would be there. So of course, we went. I was so excited, I figured it would all work out and he would see me, and we would just fall in love…simple right? WRONG! He went on to say little to nothing to me…I mean if you count, “Shhhh, You’re going to make the dogs bark”. He literally told me to shut up. After we left the bathroom, I knew I couldn’t give up! I hung around him a bit until we made eye contact. IT’S LITERALLY ALL IN THE EYES FOLKS! We made eye contact and it was over. We found ourselves drifting closer and closer while not even realizing.

Soon enough I decided to take matters into my own hands and stand right beneath him, right below the slightly elevated porch that way if he took one wrong step he would bump right into me! I’m not crazy! But yes…he did end up bumping into me! And then…NOTHING! He literally just said sorry! I was so devastated, and finally decided to give up. The night was winding down and my friends were ready to go. One of my close friends, however, wanted this guy to pick her up so we could go explore downtown. He just so happened to be close friends with my ex, so naturally, my friend wanted me to hang out with my ex and them two altogether. Something I wasn’t too thrilled about. My wholesome friend and my toxic friend began to argue back and forth like a devil and angel on my shoulders until finally I said it. I said, “I want to talk to him” and then I proceeded to point in the direction of the cute boy. My wholesome friend, without hesitation, stood up, walked over to the cute boy, and proceeded to start a conversation. The cute boy turned over, locked eyes with me, and then walked my way. He pulled up a chair and uttered the words, “What’s up with you”. 

To Be Continued…

University of Texas 2022 HDO Livin and lovin life