Looking for Something Different to Watch?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Looking for Something Different to Watch? Try These:

Even though I’ve been busy with homework, registration, and exams. I’ve found five great new shows on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Depending on your mood or your workload, these will all be great for different occasions.

Good Girls Revolt

Where to find it: Amazon Prime

Genre: Historical period drama

Length: About 50 minutes.

This is actually my new favorite show. I watched half the season in one day., but to be fair, I’m a sucker for anything dealing with journalism since it’s what I’m so passionate about. The show takes place in 1969, the country was going through a cultural revolution, but newsrooms still hadn’t changed their way of thinking. The show follows a group of women who work for “News of the Week” as researchers. They’re not allowed to have bylines, but their revolutionary request to be treated like men starts a new revolution in journalism. (It’s even a book which I’m super excited to pick up soon.)

American Crime

Where to find it: Netflix

Genre: Drama

Length: About 50 minutes

There are two seasons, and each season follows a different story line. The first follows a home invasion that results in a murder, and the second follows the story of a rape in a small town. The subject matter is heavy, but it is well written. The story lines are realistic, and overall it’s a great show to watch.

Chelsea

Where to find it: Netflix

Genre: Talk show/comedy

Length: Ranges, usually 30 minutes

Online, this show has a lot of mixed reviews. I’m a huge fan of Chelsea Handler, and I’m a huge fan of this show. Netflix picked up her talk show, and now she sits down and talks about issues with dignitaries, celebrities, and guests. She covers a variety of topics ranging from education to sports, international cultures and politics. It may not be on the top of things you want to binge watch, but it offers a lot of insight on issues.

American Horror Story

Where to find it: Netflix (current season on FX)

Genre: Horror, Drama

Length: About an hour

This is nothing new, they are currently airing the 6th season. Much like American Crime, each season follows a different story line. If you like trillers, horror shows, gore, and drama— this is definitely the show for you.

Bob’s Burgers

Where to find it: Netflix (FOX)

Genre: Comedy, animation

Length: About half an hour

A true classic, if you haven’t seen this you’re missing out. Bob’s Burgers is a cartoon that follows Bob, a restaurateur, who runs a burger place with his wife and three children. I love cartoons, but I can rewatch all the seasons of Bob’s Burgers over and over again and never get sick of it. Check this show out if you’re looking to binge-watch something that won’t take too long and isn’t as heavy as horror or dramas.

Now, let’s not forget about the new things coming on Netflix this month:

The beginning of the month marks a time for new shows to come out on Netflix. There are so many things coming out this month, here are three I’m looking forward to:

The Crown

I’ve seen a lot of good things about this show. It will chronicle the Queen’s 63-year reign over the United Kingdom. It’s already scheduled for six seasons, so it sounds promising!

Boyhood

This movie was filmed over a 12 year period. It follows a boy’s life and it shows how he grows up. It’s a true cinematic masterpiece.

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life

I don’t even think I need to explain this one. I’ve been waiting for months for this to come out, I cried at the preview, and I’m even more excited for the fact that I get to watch this at home with mom during Thanksgiving break.

Jordan is a first-year journalism major at The University of Texas at Austin. When she's not writing articles or covering events, she enjoys trying new coffee shops or scrapbooking.