Latinx Movies / Shows That Will Motivate You To Unleash Your Inner Jefa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I (like many others haha) watch my time go by on TikTok and other social media platforms. As quarantine and online classes continue, I tend to lose motivation to do what I want to accomplish. With it being Hispanic Heritage Month ( Sept.15th- Oct. 15th), here are some Latinx movies/shows that will inspire you, give a boost of confidence, and much more.

Celia 

“No te aflijas, chico, ¡vive tu vida con sabor!“ 

“Don’t get upset , boy, live your life with flavor!”

Celia Cruz, An Afro-Latina Queen! The series speaks on how Cruz overcame racism and sexism in Cuba. From the beginning of her audition to become a part of the famous Cuban/Afro Cuban band, La Sonora Matancera, to fighting against brain cancer, Celia indicates the power of love and kindness. We’re taught to use love and “AZUCAR!” in everything we do.

Frida

“We Can Endure Much More Than We Think We Can.”

A must watch movie on Netflix ! The movie about the one and only Frida Kahlo , tells us the story of how she came to be one of Mexico’s greatest artists. Throughout the film, we see her lift herself up from a life-changing accident, ongoing suffering, and many betrayals. She demonstrates how there is beauty in all pain. Defying social norms and gender stereotypes, Frida Kahlo is an inspiration to women in the Hispanic / Latinx community. 

Selena

“Excuse me , We don’t need the dress.”

(if you know, you know)

I love this movie! A tribute to the amazing Selena Quintanilla, Selena tells the story of the beloved Mexican-American singer and pop culture icon. This film takes us into Selena’s dreams and desires. We see her grow in the Mexican/American music industry and watch her fight against prejudice of not being American or Mexican enough. Selena teaches us the importance of overcoming barriers and going for your goals.

Real Women Have Curves

“A woman has thoughts , ideas , a mind , of her own..”

Real Women Have Curves is the story of Ana Garcia, a first-generation Mexican American teen. Ana begins to work with her mother at a sewing factory after graduating from high school. She struggles to balance having to deal with her controlling mother (who often bashes her about her weight), her traditional family’s opinions, and her dream of attending college. As the movie continues, Ana becomes rebellious and contradicts traditional norms. This movie shows us the value of loving your body and being independent.

Mucho Mucho Amor : The Legend Of Walter Mercado 

“When I Wake Up In The Morning , It’s the First Morning of My Life. Today Is My Day!”

“…Mucha Paz Pero Sobre Todo Mucho Mucho Amor !”

“… A lot Of Peace But Above All , Alot Alot of Love!”

A Hispanic, Non-Binary icon !!! Walter Mercado is, without a doubt, a legend in the Hispanic/ Latinx community. This documentary is filled with beautiful art , stories, and many inspiring quotes from the extravagant astrologer. We learn the importance of becoming the best version of ourselves and living every day like ours.

Ashley Guzman is studying Advertising at The University of Texas at Austin. In her free time you can catch her exploring with family/friends and/or working on graphics.
Hi, I'm Madeline Muschalik! This is my fourth year in Her Campus; I wrote for Her Campus at Wake Forest University before transferring to UT in fall 2019. Last year I was the Her Campus Texas Co-President and Campus Correspondent & it was so rewarding. I am excited to explore Austin and learn more about our university through Texas Her Campus. Some of my hobbies include running, reading, yoga, and traveling! I am a Public Relations Major and with a minor in Entrepreneurship and certificate in Creative Writing. Outside of Her Campus I am involved in Texas American Marketing Association, Moody Communication Council, a member of the Kendra Scott WEL Institute Student Council, Texas Kappa Delta, and I am a Transfer Year Interest Group (TRIG) mentor. I love UT & all the amazing opportunities (like Her Campus) that it has to offer!