It’s A Bird! It’s A Plane! It’s…BLACKPINK in Your Area: A Born Pink Album Ranking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

On Tuesday, August 9th, the entire world turned shades of black and pink. Well, at least it did (metaphorically) for avid followers of the global phenomenon known as BLACKPINK. To those who may not know, BLACKPINK is a 4-member K-pop girl group whose raw talent, partnered with fierce girl crush concepts, managed to take the world by storm. Their first studio album, which debuted on October 2nd, 2020, was a massive success and left both fans and casual listeners wanting more.

However, it wasn’t until August 9th, 2022, that the masses would finally receive what they’d been looking for: BLACKPINK announced via social media that their long-awaited sophomore album, Born Pink, would be released on September 16th, 2022 (nearly two years after their first album). Since dropping Born Pink, the album and BLACKPINK themselves are making history— undeniably setting the standard for all those who follow in their footsteps.

Curious to know more about the global superstars’ latest comeback? No worries! Here’s my ranking of the record-setting album, complete with descriptions of each track and my overall opinions.

BORN PINK songS ranked

8. Ready for love

“Ready For Love” is an EDM-inspired, danceable pop track with straightforward lyrics conveying a central theme of what it’s like to open up and finally be, quote-unquote, ready for love (pun absolutely intended). Though enjoyable, the song offers nothing new in terms of originality and feels highly dated, especially after being teased in 2020, leaked in 2021, then officially released two months before the highly anticipated album drop. The genericness and prolonged exposure of “Ready For Love” left me ready for something new, landing it at number 8 on my list.

7. YEAH YEAH YEAH

Similar to “Ready For Love,” “Yeah Yeah Yeah” is yet another upbeat, danceable pop track. The song’s chorus is undeniably infectious– courtesy of its fun synth beat and easy-to-follow lyrics expressing the track’s overall theme of wanting a new crush to like you back. With writing credits that include members Jisoo and Rosé, there’s nothing to dislike about this track (except maybe the mundane outro). However, compared to other songs on Born Pink, “Yeah Yeah Yeah” lacks a “wow” factor, making it harder for the track to stand out and earning it my number 7 spot.

6. PINK VENOM

As the tone-setting pre-release single and album opener, “Pink Venom” is an eclectic yet catchy track with a melody sure to go straight to your head and never leave it. Experimental in sound, this song does not hesitate to switch things up. It starts with the plucking of a traditional Korean instrument accompanied by a hypnotic “BLACKPINK” chant. Eventually, it transitions into an anti-drop chorus and a second verse beat change that allows rappers Jennie and Lisa to take complete control. Not to mention, the lyrics also come jam-packed with callbacks to music icons like Rihanna, The Notorious B.I.G., and more. This track leaves no stone unturned and takes the number 6 spot only because of my familiarity with it since dropping a month prior. But it’s no denying that, with one taste, “Pink Venom” is sure to have you looking for more.

5. HARD TO LOVE

Arguably the fans’ most anticipated track on Born Pink, “Hard to Love” is a disco-esque/pop-synth song sung as a solo by BLACKPINK’s own vocal-pro Rosé. Though it’s upbeat in sound, the track’s lyrics are more serious, expressing an overall theme of battling insecurities and needing to push away a lover to protect them. Rosé’s rosy tone and powerful belts shine throughout the song, giving it a special flair that compels listeners to dance along and join Rosé in singing their hearts out. There’s nothing hard to love about this track, which is why it rounds out my top 5 songs on the album.

4. TALLY

“Tally” explores a different mood than the previous songs, sonically dipping into a pop-rock sound as it features a melodic electric guitar and somber-sounding drums throughout the track. The PINKS match this mature sound with blunt lyrics like “I do what I want with who I like” that delivers the message that they are free to live life how they desire. “Tally” is one of those songs sure to get you swaying back and forth as you belt the lyrics at the top of your lungs. Plus, the message it contains is a powerful one many can benefit from hearing, which is why, if we’re keeping a tally, it takes my number 4 spot.

3. TYPA GIRL

“Typa Girl” is the type of track sure to surprise first-time listeners as its initial opening organ arrangement melts into a contrasting beat drop with a heavy bassline. The PINKS use this song as a reminder that they are self-sufficient individuals with an energy and charm so magnetic it’s bound to leave those pining after them at a loss for words. Featuring sassy yet sultry vocals and standout raps, “Typa Girl” never fails to deliver a feeling of confidence and empowerment. Though, I will say the track could do without the line “I’m not like these other girls at all,” as that narrative feels a bit outdated. Despite that, this track is an absolute knock-out that can quickly boost anyone’s mood, earning it its rightful seat at number 3. (By the way, Megan Thee Stallion x BLACKPINK collab when?!)

2. SHUT DOWN

Opening with an addictive 1800s violin interpolation, a hard-hitting baseline, and one of the most iconic catchphrases in K-Pop, BLACKPINK’s “Shut Down” lets listeners know from the jump that they have something to say— particularly in response to all of their haters. With lines like “It’s not a comeback since we’ve never left (translated)” and “Praying for my downfall, many have tried,” the PINKS shut down all hate, reminding everyone that, despite two years since their last album, their presence as the world’s biggest girl group remains untouched. Being the ultimate flex and much-needed clap back, BLACKPINK’s “Shut Down” left quite the impression on me, cementing itself at number 2.

1. THE HAPPIEST GIRL

Contrary to its title, “The Happiest Girl” is a track that is anything but happy. Featuring a minimal piano arrangement, “The Happiest Girl” allows BLACKPINK to do the storytelling without any gimmicks. And the story told is gut-wrenching, as it details the effects of a toxic relationship, where one chooses to put up a façade to conceal the pain. Lines like “Don’t make us saints, we’re wards of pain” and “My heart only wants you the moment you say no” are heartbreakingly beautiful. And just as impactful are the girls’ vocals, most notably Jisoo’s haunting falsettos in the pre-chorus and Lisa’s soothing tone during the first chorus. The PINKS deliver this song with so much nuance and emotion that it is impossible to listen without being teary-eyed. Thus making it number 1 on my list and one of my favorite BLACKPINK songs so far.

Be sure to check out all of Born Pink (streaming now on every music platform) to decide for yourself how these tracks rank amongst each other!

Ashley Coleman is an undergraduate student studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is most passionate about media representation and all things related to pop culture. When she’s not writing, you can find her learning a new dance, fangirling over Zendaya, or making a quick trip to the nearest boba shop.