This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As a college student, I sometimes feel as though my mind is racing 24/7 whether it’s thinking about my next assignment, test, material from lecture, org meetings, lab opportunities, grad school opportunities, family, friends or my boyfriend; it can be a lot to juggle at times.

I’ve found that including mindfulness into even the simplest of things can be beneficial to my mental health. I try to meditate daily, but I must admit that sometimes life sweeps me up, and I do forget.

Below are some of my favorite ways to incorporate mindfulness into your daily life!

Calm App

The Calm App is one of my favorite apps for meditation, both guided and on your own. They have a free version, and they also have a paid version where you can access more of the material their platform provides. I currently use the free version, and this is by far my favorite one I’ve used so far. Sometimes I will even use this app for the calming sounds while I’m studying. However, for meditation, I will try and use this app in between study sessions. I find that it can help ground me, and clear my head as I move between subjects, which keeps me from feeling burnt out during busy points in the semester.

Cooking

I think when people think of mindfulness they immediately assume meditation is the main way to be mindful in their daily life, but you can practice mindfulness in many activities! Cooking is one of my favorite things to practice mindfulness. I live in the dorms currently, but when I go to my boyfriend’s we often cook, and I love it. We get to be fully present while cooking together and enjoy every moment of it. Instead of just turning the TV on while cooking, although I must admit yes sometimes we do this when we’re simply exhausted and want to veg out quickly, we’ll joke around and talk about our days while showing each other how to make a specific recipe.

Walk Your Dog

Taking my dog out used to be one of my favorite ways to take a break from all of the craziness associated with life. Just get outside, breathe some fresh air, and enjoy the time spent in nature with one of your favorite companions!

Izabella is a transfer student studying journalism at UT with an interest in social justice reporting. She enjoys reading, photography, podcasts, and cuddling with her dog, Jinxx.
Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.