In Honor of International Woman’s Day, Here Are 5 Things I Love About Being a Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I have always loved being a woman. I’m in love with the complexity of our hormones and having more estrogen than testosterone. I’m enamored by the bond of femininity created when discussing all things womanhood. Being a woman is a beautifully wholesome experience I feel honored to live.

In light of International Women’s Day and my immense passion for womanhood, here are 5 things I love about being a woman.

1. The deep connection among us

Nothing is more special than the connection of a girlfriend group. Women have the ability to connect on so many things that men simply cannot, no shade toward them, they just can’t relate. Women go through many unique experiences like periods, PMSing, cramps, GIVING BIRTH, etc. All of these things give us a book of shared struggles to bond over. Not only do we experience the dreadful steps of our reproduction system, but socially, the inequality we face unites us more than ever. Women’s rights protests across the country create unities of women all fighting for the same cause. From syncing up menstrual cycles to raging over society, we are all spiritual soul sisters.

2. Emotional Intelligence

Women have a reputation of being “too emotional,” but I think our emotions make us in touch with ourselves and those around us. We tend to embrace our emotions, rather than shutting them out or masking them with rage, which helps us become more intuitive. Personally, being so in touch with my emotions has helped me learn how to execute them in a positive way. I understand why I’m feeling a certain way and am able to control them instead of being manic. I’ve also learned this helped me be more empathetic toward others.

3. Pregnancy

The ability to give birth is so empowering for a woman. We can GROW a human in our body!! Although I’ve yet to experience pregnancy, it just seems like such a wholesomely beautiful experience that I cannot fathom. The ability to watch and feel your baby grow in your stomach seems so surreal. I cannot wait to experience this special piece of womanhood.

4. We are nurturers

To go along with pregnancy, motherhood is so endearing. I’m not about traditional households where women are the nurturers and men are the workers, but I feel it is true women are natural nurturers at heart. I love to bond with my niece and nephews. To see them grow up and achieve all the little accomplishments is such a heartwarming thing. I am ecstatic to one day be a mother.

5. Femininity

I love embracing my natural femininity. I love to dress up and wear makeup. Growing up as the only girl in my family, my mom raised me to love all things pink, princess, and glitter. As a child, I could often be found in a dress or frilly skirt, and even still so today at 20 years old. It may sound shallow, but at its core, it instills me with confidence.

Emily Harrison is a journalism junior with a minor in global management at the University of Texas at Austin. She loves fashion, writing and activism. Her career aspiration is to be a fashion journalist. Emily will be covering topics within fashion, beauty, lifestyle and wellness.