This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Over winter break, I noticed my screen time on my phone took a jump from 3 hours max spread across different apps throughout the day to at least 7 hours a day on Instagram. I was in a deep rot, and I knew this couldn’t continue in the following semester. Not only had my attention span been whittled to no longer than a few seconds, I also noticed my vocabulary changing to a more chronically online speak. This is why on January 15th, I deleted Instagram. 

I felt the loss hard for the first few days, as I checked my phone every few minutes hoping to get that sweet gratification from my infinite scroll. Fortunately, as time went on and classes got busier, I missed Instagram less. Here are some of the changes in my life since deleting Instagram:

Stretching

Every day, rather than spend time scrolling through a million reels that I will forget within 6 seconds, I take the time to stretch out my muscles. While I usually do this before/after working out, I’ve also started including it on my off days because it gives me a chance to reflect on my day, figure out what’s still bothering me, and be in touch with my body. Through this, I have also improved my posture (which significantly decreased my back pain), and become more conscious in my day-to-day life.

Less “I want to” and more “I will”

I have saved thousands of reels with recipes, travel locations, and workout plans that I plan on coming back to, but realistically I never will. Since deleting Instagram, I’ve also tried to switch my mindset from saying I want to do something at some unspecified time in the future, to setting a day and time that I will try something. Because of this change, I’ve learned how to make a caramel macchiato at home, made cupcakes using pancake flour, and learned how to do a bunch of new exercises.

Longer attention span

It’s hard to exactly define how my attention span has changed, but I have noticed some differences. For example, while watching TV, I don’t feel the need to have a secondary device also blaring information at me, which has done wonders for my overstimulation. I also am able to take notes and listen to a lecture without feeling the need to be on my phone as well. This change may look different for everyone, but I have felt much less distracted in the past few weeks.

More connected to people around me

It’s ironic that as soon as I let go of social media, I feel more connected to those around me. But since deleting Instagram, I spend time on my phone talking to my family and my friends rather than spending them reels that barely mean anything. I get more updates about what my loved ones are up to, like my roommate who just made alfredo sauce despite her lactose intolerance and is now suffering from tummy hurt. 

Less cat videos

There are cons with deleting Instagram. The biggest one is my loss of cat videos. About ½ of my discover page was cute animals, mostly cats, and watching those videos was usually the most peaceful part of my day. While I still find peace in other parts of my day, I really miss sending my boyfriend a picture of two cuddling cats and saying “This is us.” This loss has been felt deeply and is my only regret in deleting Instagram. 

I will admit, I have cheated during my break from social media. I use Instagram on my laptop to check messages sent by my friends. While I do watch the reels that my friends send, I avoid falling into the infinite scroll of doom, which has helped me reduce time on Instagram. I also absolutely despise the user interface of the website version of Instagram, so I spend as little time on it as possible. 

Overall, this change has been almost freeing. I am more present, aware, and focused with the people around me. I spend more time thinking about myself and my mental health rather than comparing myself to people I’ll never meet. I also decreased my daily phone time to about two hours. Despite my initial discomfort with the massive change, I could not regret it less (but if you’re reading this and you love me, please send me a picture of a cat).

Hi there! I am a sophomore Biology major at UT Austin. I am super interested in research and science, but I also love writing about my life and what I see around me. I love cat videos, weird science facts, and cooking new food. Thanks for reading!