Life > Experiences

How to Have a Spooktacular Halloween in Austin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

It’s that time of year again… the time of thick coats, crimson leaves, and everything pumpkin spice: fall! And with it, the oh-so-famous Halloween. Celebrating holidays in college, with just your friends and complete independence, is often quite thrilling. But choosing between all the fun possibilities can easily be overwhelming. If you live in Austin, Texas, like me, here’s how to do Halloween right:

Disclaimer: This article was written in 2022. These places and events may not exist in future years.

• Enter the scream-worthy House of Torment, if you dare…
    • This is by far the best and most popular haunted house in Austin. It’s open through November 5th this year, and tickets are around $30. It’s truly a must-go experience.
      .
  • Embark on a chill-inducing Austin Ghost Tour
    • If you’re a curious person, consider booking a haunted walking tour of Austin. You’ll learn about the spooky history of several local buildings.
  • Explore the gem of SoCo: Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds
    • It doesn’t matter if you’re shopping or just taking a look around, the minute you enter this spunky South Congress store you’re guaranteed a good time! They’ve got looks that will surely put you on top in any costume contest. Unfortunately, the shop is closing at the end of 2022 (after 38 years!!!), so hurry in before it’s too late!
      .
  • Thrift costumes with friends at Pavement
    • For most of us, splurging on a new costume isn’t an option, but that doesn’t mean we can’t dress up! Get creative at one of Austin’s many thrift shops. Pavement is my personal favorite due to the variety of items, insta-worthy storefront, and proximity to the UT campus.
      .
  • Snap some cute fall pics at Sweet Berry Farms
    • If you have a car, you should check out this picturesque berry farm and pumpkin patch that will surely send you back to your childhood. There’s always something fun going on here for all ages.
      .
  • …or some ghostly ones at Pumpkin Nights
    • All will enjoy touring this majestic festival featuring thousands of intricately carved pumpkins. Tickets are around $20 and the reviews are suggesting it’s well worth it. Also in the DFW area, this event runs just until October 30th. It’s selling out, so get your tickets now!

Of course, you can always celebrate with a fun night-in: 

• Add a touch of the Halloween spirit to your dorm or apartment with some dark decor
  • Challenge your friends to pumpkin carving or painting
  • Conjure up a yummy pumpkin spice creation (I’m currently eyeing this recipe)
  • Have a Hocus Pocus 2 movie night

Wishing everyone a wicked good All Hallow’s Eve!

Victoria Plaxton is a computer science student at UT Austin. She writes about pop culture, adulting, and mental health. In her free time, she enjoys baking, going on walks, curating Spotify playlists, and exploring the city.