This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated annually from September 15 to October 15 and recognizes the contributions and influence Hispanic Americans have and hold on history, culture, and innovation. See below for how to celebrate locally in Austin, Texas!

As a Latina UT Austin student, these picks are personal favorites and/or on my to-do list!

HOra De comer

Hungry and looking to support Latina business owners? Look no further than Taquero Mucho, Austin’s “Hip Mexican restaurant serving tacos, cocktails & brunch in a colorful space with pink accents.” Eat up and take advantage of the decor for your social feeds!

Address: 508 West Ave

Ver arte

Located on 419 Congress Ave, the Mexic-Arte Museum is a gem in downtown Austin. Its mission “is to enrich and educate the community through the presentation and promotion of traditional and contemporary Mexican, Latino, and Latino art and culture.”

Their exhibitions for the month include: 40 YEARS OF DÍA DE LOS MUERTOS and OFRENDA DE LA COMUNIDAD. For those who celebrate Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead), the latter is a community ofrenda to bring and display photos of your passed loved ones.

Ir al Cine

Support Latino filmmakers and storytellers by watching movies like Blue Beetle. The disparities of Latino representation in Hollywood cannot be fixed overnight, but a good place to start is supporting the release of cultural blockbusters and indie darlings.

Alamo Drafthouse, with its various locations in Austin, screen movies made by Latino creatives during this month, be sure to keep an eye out for new and old films alike!

Bailar la noche entera

Grab your girlfriends and dance the night away at Mala Vida, “Austin’s number one and most viral Latin club.”

Estudiar el Tema en UT

Are you a student at UT Austin and want to expand your cultural knowledge? Look no further than the Department of Mexican American Latina/o Studies!

“The Department of Mexican American and Latina/o Studies (MALS) is comprised of faculty members whose teaching and research are at the forefront of innovation in areas of study including: immigration, borders, policing, race, language, gender, sexuality, class, public health, culture, indigeneity, performance, disability, digital humanities and more.”

With the option to major or minor in MALS, open your mind and spend time enriching yourself in ethnic studies, it’s healing and rewarding, take it from this MALS major!

Justice Morris (she/her) is a second-year history and Mexican American Latino Studies double major at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also pursuing a Core Texts and Ideas certificate. Justice is a passionate writer; she enjoys sharing her thoughts on the arts, life as a college student, and her cultural experiences as a Chicana woman. You can find more of her work in The Liberator, the official publication of the College of Liberal Arts.