This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Earth Day takes place every year on April 22. It is an annual event that aims to support environmental protection and raise awareness about pollution. Earth Day came to be significant due to the Modern Environmental Movement in 1970. This movement was initiated because of the health consequences of pollution in Europe and the United States during the Industrial Revolution. Overall, this movement sought to spread awareness about toxic substances in the environment, climate change, and global warming. 

Earth Day should be celebrated every day. There are numerous things we can do as a society to keep our planet safe. Certain activities can be applied to our everyday life, the smallest change can protect the Earth’s natural resources, ecosystems, climate, and atmosphere. 

1. Reduce, reuse, recycle

2. Pick Up Trash

• Going out by yourself, with a group of friends, or even with your family to pick up the trash can help keep the Earth’s ecosystems safe. For example, throwing away trash near a beach helps keep marine life safe. 

3. Grow a Plant

• Plants take in carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and produce oxygen. Growing and taking care of a plant can show us how easily a plant can start withering without proper nourishment and care. 

4. Start Your Own Compost 

5. Shop Sustainable

• Globally, there are around 17 million tons of textile waste per year. Fast fashion is the process of quickly taking advantage of current fashion trends by using cheap and dirty fabric. This is one of the highest polluting industries globally, which also tends to have unethical working conditions. Donating or shopping at your local thrift store or even looking into small businesses that specifically aim to produce eco-friendly or ‘green’ fashion can prevent a negative footprint. 
Radhika is a senior at UT Austin majoring in Neuroscience and minoring in Educational Psychology. She is currently pursuing a career in research and medicine. She enjoys reading, swimming, and playing the guitar.