Kellyn Simpkin-Girl Next To Brick Wall Texting
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus

How to Stay Safe When Using Dating Apps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Another school year is upon us, which means another busy season for dating app. use (for some of us)! Over the past couple of years of college, I have compiled a series of safety precautions when I go to meet a guy from a dating app. (you can never be too careful!). Hopefully these suggestions will help you to feel less anxious and more secure in your Tinder and Bumble pursuits!

1. Do your research!

1. While creepy in theory, make sure to look for the person you intend to meet on social media to see if they are a real person and if their public information contains any red flags. If the social media yields problematic content, cancel the date and save yourself some trouble!

2. Meet up with the person in the middle of the day before you commit to meeting up with them after dark.

1. It goes to say that meeting up with someone in the middle of the day in a public place is significantly safer than meeting up with them after sunset. Take the time to get to know the person and determine their character before you put yourself in a more vulnerable position.

3. Share your location with your friends.

1. It might sound paranoid, but you never know what can happen when you are meeting up with a stranger. Make sure to share your location with a couple of your good friends, so that they can find you in the event that the date goes awry. 

1. Fill your friends in on the meeting specifics.

1. Let your friends know where you will be meeting the person from the app., what time you are meeting them at, and when you will likely be back home.

2. Upon your first meeting, do not give out too much personal information.

1. Remember: they are still a stranger! Make sure to meet in a neutral place, don’t divulge where you live, and don’t tell them details they could use against you. 

3. When in doubt: trust your gut.

1. If you feel like something is off about the person you are meeting, leave! Walk away, call your friends, fill them in, and stay safe! Your instincts are your best first line of defense and they typically have some merit, so listen up!

4. It might seem self explanatory, but don’t get in a car with a person you have just met! Choose somewhere within walking distance, and rely on your legs, wheelchair, scooter, etc. to get you there.

These are just tips from my personal dating app. practices. Be safe and happy dating apping!

Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.