This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

This time of year always makes me want to get my life together. I love when it’s sunny again, and I love a clean space! More than that, I’ve learned that by cleaning my space and some other areas of my life, I can be more present and overall happier. These are a few of my ways to deep clean your life this spring.

Start by making a list

The first thing I do whenever starting a big project is to write down a list on paper. This helps to break things down, and it always feels great to check something off a list when you’ve completed the task! I’ll start by breaking down areas of my space I’m going to tackle or specific tasks I need to accomplish.

Do a 10 minute clean of your space

This year I learned about the 10 minute clean on Instagram, and I promise it will change your life. Some of the bloggers I follow were getting questions about how they kept their homes so clean, and their reply— 10 minute cleans morning and night. So now, most days before I go to bed, I put on some music, set a timer for ten minutes, and pick up everything I’ve left out for the day. If you want to organize your space, this is a great place to start. 

Marie Kondo it – Does it spark joy? 

Sometimes, when I get busy, the clutter on my desk or the pile of clothes on my chair starts to build up, I stop noticing them. This is the time to pick one of those messy spots and tidy it up. If there is anything you can throw away, donate, or recycle, let it go. 

Deep clean your space 

Not only is it good to donate, but it’s also good to really deep clean your space. Wipe down the surfaces, wash your sheets, towels, everything. I also try to think of surfaces I tend to forget to disinfect as often, like door handles or my phone screen. Nothing feels like more of a clean slate than a room that’s both clean and fresh. 

Clean Your Digital Space Too!

If your computer desktop is messy or your phone has dozens of texts, this is another thing I like to tackle when I do spring cleaning. Just like a messy working environment can leave your mind feeling chaotic, a messy digital setup can do the same. Sometimes this takes longer to work through. Take the time to delete apps you don’t use, old texts, and photos.

Take a moment to journal

Once you get things organized and clean in your physical environment, it’s great to honor that by taking a moment to reflect and journal out your thoughts. You can even take this time to write down some goals or what you are grateful for. 

Ultimately, organizing your life is a process that I feel like I’m constantly working on in some aspect of my life. A new season is a great time to start fresh, but you can also begin incorporating any of these tips into your normal routine. 

Hi, I'm Jessica Mick! I am a junior journalism student at the University of Texas. In my free time I enjoy exploring Austin with my friends, reading new books, and going on walks.
Hi, I'm Madeline Muschalik! This is my fourth year in Her Campus; I wrote for Her Campus at Wake Forest University before transferring to UT in fall 2019. Last year I was the Her Campus Texas Co-President and Campus Correspondent & it was so rewarding. I am excited to explore Austin and learn more about our university through Texas Her Campus. Some of my hobbies include running, reading, yoga, and traveling! I am a Public Relations Major and with a minor in Entrepreneurship and certificate in Creative Writing. Outside of Her Campus I am involved in Texas American Marketing Association, Moody Communication Council, a member of the Kendra Scott WEL Institute Student Council, Texas Kappa Delta, and I am a Transfer Year Interest Group (TRIG) mentor. I love UT & all the amazing opportunities (like Her Campus) that it has to offer!