How To Get a Tan this Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Spray tan and tanning beds are a given. But if you’re looking to get that natural tan from the sun before summer, here are some tips to perfect that golden brown skin.

Sunscreen
I know what you’re thinking: Why would I put on sunscreen if I’m trying to expose my skin to the sun?
Sunscreen protects your skin from dangerous rays and will prevent you from red sunburns. A sunscreen with an SPF of 10 or 15 will protect your skin while you develop the tan of your preference. Of course, a higher SPF will protect your skin from getting any darker, so make sure you get the one you’re looking for. Many people put on sunscreen every 3-4 hours depending on how dark they want to get or how light they want to stay.
Make sure to put sunscreen on your entire body; everything that is being exposed to the sun should be ‘sun-screened.’ If you’re going to be swimming, make sure your sunscreen is waterproof! There’s also a different sunscreen for faces if you’re picky about your protection.

Equal Breaks

Make sure to spend time equally when laying out on your back and front. You wouldn’t want your back darker than your front, and vice versa. Not a cute look, collegiettes! You might want to think about tan lines, as well. If you’re in a secluded area, don’t hesitate to take off your top to even your tan. 

Overexposure and Time
Try to avoid the hottest hours of the day (10a.m. – 2p.m.), that’s when the rays are most dangerous. Overexposing your body to the sun will turn your tan into a burn. Think of it as cooking your bacon for too long.

Remember, some people tan faster than others so pay attention to how long you’re out in the sun, and how much sunscreen you have to apply.

Photo: http://image001.mywedding.com/…

Mira Milla is a junior majoring in Journalism at the University of Texas and is currently interning at 'The Society Diaries'. 
Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.