This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Pretty much everyone has had to live with a roommate during some point in their life, and everyone has a “roommate story”. Whether it’s having to live with a 60 year old (that’s my story), or having a roommate that just can’t seem to clean up after themselves. The most common time to live with a roommate is during college. This can be a difficult time to have a roommate; you’ve only ever lived with your family most likely, and you are experiencing a ton of new things, and living with a stranger, or even someone you know, can be difficult. There are a few things you can do to cope with the difficulties of roommate living.

Photo Credit

Keep an open line of communication

The most important way to deal with your issues is to talk about them. If you find something that annoys you, or that you wish your roommate could do better, let them know. If you keep all of your complaints bottled up, you could eventually blow up on them and make your living situation even worse. The best way to deal with your grievances is to talk about them openly with your roommate.

Try to see things from their point of view

Sometimes when living with a stranger it can be difficult to realize that everyone does things differently. When dealing with a roommate who puts things in a place you would never put it, or folds a towel a completely different way than you, just remember that they were raised differently than you and they probably did things differently in their house. So next time you want to yell at your roommate about loading the dishwasher “the wrong way”, realize that it might be their “right way”.

Write a roommate agreement

The best way to deal with roommate problems is to avoid them all together. The best way to avoid any problems is to fill out a roommate agreement. Most dorms require you to do this at the beginning of the year, but if your dorm doesn’t, or you live in an apartment, you can write one yourself. It’s a good way to set boundaries and get to know what each of you wants as far as cleanliness, air temperature, or noise levels.

Photo Credit

Have a mediation

If you and your roommate have problems that you just can’t solve, most dorms or student apartments offer roommate mediation. This is a place where you and your roommate can speak your mind openly in front of a third party. This will allow you to get all of your problems out in the open, and the mediator can also help come up with solutions or compromises.

Move out

If all else fails, you can always move out. This may be an expensive option, but if your problems have gotten out of control, this may be your only option.

I am a third year English major hoping to become a book editor. I have been writing for HerCampus for one year, and am excited to work as a Co-Editor this year. I love reading and staying home with my cat, Luna.
Grace is a Philosophy and Economics double major and a Government minor at the University of Texas at Austin. Most of her writing focuses on politics and civic engagement, characteristically intertwining her journalism with op-ed takes (usually nonpartisan; depends who you ask). Grace enjoys reading philosophy, reading and discussing politics, gushing over her dog, and painting in her spare time. As a true economics enthusiast, she also loves graphs.