Meredith Kress-Bedroom Decor
Meredith Kress-Bedroom Decor
Meredith Kress / Her Campus
Style > Decor

How to Brighten Up Any College Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

It’s great to finally move out of a dorm and into an apartment, but sometimes they can feel just as dreary. Here are a few ways to brighten up any living space.

Fun Pillow and Blankets

The apartment I am in now came with a plain black couch that is just a little…boring. In order to spruce it up, my roommate and I bought fun colorful pillows. You can get cheap, cute ones from Target. Another way that we made our couch more comfortable is by having a basket with three or four fluffy blankets in it. Whenever we are watching a movie—or just feeling cold—-we can take one out and spread out with in on the couch.

Display Your Books and Games

I’d recommend picking your favorite books (a pretty cover also helps) as well as games that you want guests to play (such as uno, Pictionary, giant jenga) and displaying them in a visible spot. My roommate and I have them on the shelves of our TV stand. 

Funky Lamps

One of the best ways to help a room is to give it some warm light. Having an assortment of lamps (cheap ones can also be found at target) and candles is just what an apartment needs. I found a circular burnt orange candle holder at a small hotel in Austin that adds another pop of (spirited) color to the room.

Bring Items From Home

I decided to bring my family’s old Wii that we hadn’t played for years and hook it up to our TV. We have tons of old games, including Super Mario Bros and Lego Harry Potter. A Wii is perfect for when friends are over and has the nostalgic feel of childhood.

Statement Art Pieces

My roommate and I decided to make our apartment music-themed, so we have lots of old ACL and music group posters. My favorite art is the collection of my dad’s old framed records I have in one corner that include Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, and Neil Young.

Flowers

On occasion, we buy fresh flowers from the grocery store (you can get them for as little as $5), but we also have a fake succulent and potted plant that require less maintenance.

A Fish!

My roommate won a fish in a white elephant before Christmas break. Fish are low maintenance, especially if you get a good filter for the tank. Plus, they are a great conversation starter if you have new friends over to the apartment. Whenever people walk into ours it is the first thing they comment on!   

Hi, I'm Madeline Muschalik! This is my fourth year in Her Campus; I wrote for Her Campus at Wake Forest University before transferring to UT in fall 2019. Last year I was the Her Campus Texas Co-President and Campus Correspondent & it was so rewarding. I am excited to explore Austin and learn more about our university through Texas Her Campus. Some of my hobbies include running, reading, yoga, and traveling! I am a Public Relations Major and with a minor in Entrepreneurship and certificate in Creative Writing. Outside of Her Campus I am involved in Texas American Marketing Association, Moody Communication Council, a member of the Kendra Scott WEL Institute Student Council, Texas Kappa Delta, and I am a Transfer Year Interest Group (TRIG) mentor. I love UT & all the amazing opportunities (like Her Campus) that it has to offer!
Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.