Here’s What Your Fave Celebs Are Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you obsess over anything that can make you close to your favorite celebrity. Many people pay attention to the makeup or clothing that models or actors use because they see their consistency and believe it can be trusted. While I’m a skincare and makeup gal, I think one of the best things to take away from celebrities is their favorite books. It shows character, interest, and could bring you a little bit closer to having something in common with them if you truly see them as a role model. Moreover, this sort of aspect helps humanize our faves because it shows a good scale of what they’re doing in their free time, and while they inspire us, it shows the world who or what is inspiring them.

1. Pedro Pascal

• Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

2. Aubrey Plaza

• The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
  • When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron
  • The White Album by Joan Didion

3. Selena GOMEZ

• The Undocumented Americans by Karla Cornejo Villavicencio
  • Becoming by Michelle Obama
  • Fearless by Arianna Huffington

4. Taylor Swift

• Normal People by Sally Rooney
  • The Kennedy Women by Laurence Leamer
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

5. Andrew Garfield

• Upstream by Mary Oliver
  • Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke
  • The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

6. Blake LIVELY

• The Rhythm Section by Mark Burnell
  • The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
  • The Myth of the Nice Girl Fran Hauser

7. Harry Styles

• My Policeman by Bethan Roberts
  • Love Is a Mixtape by Rob Sheffield
  • The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

8. Anya Taylor Joy

• Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
  • The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter
  • Ghosts by Dolly Alderton

9. Austin Butler

• On the Road by Jack Kerouac
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver
  • The Great Fires by Jack Gilbert

10. KIM NAMJOON

• 1984 by George Orwell
  • The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

happy reading!

Abygail Pulido is a 2nd year at the University of Texas at Austin honing her craft for writing and pursuing her love for reading with a double major in English and Rhetorical Writing, she is also pursuing a certificate in Creative Writing. She is currently interning at the Harry Ransom Center in Visual Materials where she is learning about the curation process of exhibits and helping select class material. Abby's goal for her articles is to make academic and political topics digestable and fun to read. She loves Her Campus at Texas because its helped her to develop a voice and gain a connection with wonderful and diverse writers.