Hearty and Healthy: Exploring the Rich Flavors of Korean Soups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Take a journey through the unique and flavorful world of Korean soups, where every bowl is packed with the perfect balance of savory and spice. From the comforting warmth of classic soups to the exciting twist of fusion flavors, Korean soups have something for everyone. Not only are they delicious, but they are also known for their nutritional value and health benefits. Whether you are looking for a hearty meal to warm your soul or a refreshing soup to cool you down, Korean cuisine has got you covered. So grab a spoon and let’s dive into the world of Korean soups!

1. Galbitang (갈비탕): This hearty soup is made with beef short ribs and a variety of vegetables such as onion, garlic, and radish. The broth is rich and savory, and the meat is so tender it falls off the bone. It’s often served with a side of rice and is a comforting and satisfying meal.
  2. Jjigae (찌개): Jjigae is a type of Korean stew that comes in a variety of flavors such as kimchi, tofu, and seafood. The base is typically made with a combination of anchovy broth and gochujang (Korean red pepper paste). The ingredients are simmered together until they create a thick, spicy, and flavorful soup.
  3. Samgyetang (삼계탕): Samgyetang is a chicken soup that’s often eaten in the summertime to help fight the heat. It’s made by stuffing a whole chicken with glutinous rice, ginseng, garlic, and jujube, and then simmering it in a broth until the chicken is tender and the rice is fluffy. The soup is believed to have medicinal properties and is a great way to stay healthy during the hot Korean summer.
  4. Maeuntang (매운탕): This spicy fish soup is made with a variety of seafood such as cod, mackerel, and clams, as well as an assortment of vegetables such as onion, garlic, and green onion. The soup is flavored with gochujang and gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes) to give it a fiery kick.
  5. Doenjang Jjigae (된장찌개): Doenjang jjigae is a soybean paste soup that’s packed with umami flavor. The soup is made by simmering doenjang (fermented soybean paste) with vegetables such as zucchini, potato, and onion, and then adding tofu or meat for protein. The result is a thick and hearty soup that’s perfect for cold winter days.
  6. Seolleongtang (설렁탕): Seolleongtang is a beef bone soup that’s been simmered for hours until the broth is milky and rich. It’s typically served with thinly sliced beef, noodles, and green onions. The soup is a popular breakfast dish in Korea and is known for its soothing and nourishing qualities.
  7. Kongnamul Guk (콩나물국): Kongnamul guk is a simple but flavorful soup made with soybean sprouts, anchovy broth, and green onions. It’s a light and refreshing soup that’s perfect for a hot summer day.
  8. Yukgaejang (육개장): This spicy beef soup is made with thinly sliced beef, vegetables such as onion and green onion, and gochujang to give it a spicy kick. The soup is typically served with rice and is a favorite among Koreans for its hearty and comforting qualities.
Vanna Chen

Texas '23

Senior Computer Science Major Sleepy, Funny, Addicted to Kombucha