This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I think when you ask most people what they are looking forward to in college they typically reply with something about parties. This was one of the most exciting things to look forward to when I applied to the University of Texas at Austin. It was all going to be so new and so exciting. Unfortunately, the world had other plans and gave us the Coronavirus. 

Everything was put on pause. The last semester of my senior year was basically thrown out the window. I think we all figured it would get better by the summer but alas, it only got worse. Cases were rising every day and the class of 2020 wondered if we would even get a freshmen year in college. 

Fall plans began to roll out and most colleges decided to have everything online just to be safe. I was devastated to learn that I would not be having the typical freshman year experience but I was just excited to get back to class and move on with everything. That first Halloween was a little sad but it is one I will not forget because I just dressed up and walked around the empty campus. It was nice, but I hoped that Halloween in 2021 would look drastically different. The year was slow, but it was safe, and it was nice when they announced that the following school year would be like a return to normalcy, what once was normalcy at least. 

This year, everyone seemingly returned to campus which meant everything was back on. Sporting events, clubs, and parties began to push out dates for events and everything seemed so exciting. Finally, we were getting to experience what college was truly like. As I’m writing this, I’m getting ready to head to my first Halloween party. I’m really excited but a bit nervous as well. Halloween has always been my favorite holiday so look forward to an update in the coming weeks. Hopefully, all goes well and everyone has or had a safe and fun Halloween. 

Victoria Navarro is an Advertising major at the University of Texas at Austin. She loves to spend time with her rescue dog Dusty and you can always catch her with a cup of coffee.