Taste of Japan: A Journey Through the Country’s Most Iconic Desserts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Japanese cuisine is known for its unique and delicate flavors, and its desserts are no exception. From traditional Japanese sweets (wagashi) to modern desserts inspired by Japan’s rich culinary culture, there are plenty of delicious options to choose from.

1. Dorayaki (どら焼き) – These small, pancake-like sweets are filled with sweet red bean paste and are a popular snack in Japan. The name “dorayaki” is said to come from the Japanese word “dora,” which means “gong,” because the sweets are shaped like small gongs.
  2. Mochi (餅) – Mochi is a sticky rice cake that is commonly eaten during Japanese New Year celebrations. It can be filled with a variety of sweet fillings, such as sweetened red bean paste or ice cream.
  3. Souffle Pancakes (クラシックスフレパンケーキ) – These pancakes are made using a special technique that involves whipping the egg whites separately to create a fluffy batter that rises higher than traditional pancakes. They’re light and airy, and are often served with whipped cream and fruit.
  4. Taiyaki (たい焼き) – Taiyaki is a fish-shaped cake that is often filled with sweetened red bean paste. It is a popular street food in Japan, and is often sold from food trucks or stalls.
  5. Wagashi (和菓子) – Wagashi is a term used to describe traditional Japanese sweets. These sweets come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and flavors, and are often served with green tea.
  6. Anmitsu (あんみつ) – Anmitsu is a dessert that consists of sweetened agar jelly, sweet red bean paste, and fruit. It is often served with syrup or a sweetened black soybean paste.
  7. Daifuku (大福) – Daifuku is a mochi rice cake that is stuffed with sweet filling, such as sweetened red bean paste or strawberries.
  8. Kasutera (カステラ) – Kasutera is a type of sponge cake that was introduced to Japan by Portuguese merchants in the 16th century. It is a popular dessert in Japan, and is often flavored with honey or green tea.
  9. Matcha Cheesecake (抹茶チーズケーキ) – Matcha cheesecake is a popular Japanese dessert that combines the flavors of matcha and cheesecake. The matcha gives the cheesecake a beautiful green color and a unique flavor that is both sweet and slightly bitter.
  10. Uiro (ういろう) – Uiro is a steamed cake made with rice flour and sugar, often flavored with green tea or yuzu. It’s often stuffed with delicious sweet beans. fruit, and nuts.
Vanna Chen

Texas '23

Senior Computer Science Major Sleepy, Funny, Addicted to Kombucha