This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Election Anxiety is real. Your feelings are 100% valid. It is hard not to feel overwhelmed and anxious, with so much being at stake. While it is easier to focus on worst-case-scenarios/ what could happen next, we also need to remember to take care of our mental health. Whether this article goes up before or after there is an elected President, here are some tips to help with your anxiety.

Breathe.

I know, I know. You’ve heard this millions of times, and I know deep breaths aren’t going to magically fix everything , but take a second to recalibrate. A few slow deep breaths help us calm our mind and body from stress. From videos that guide you while taking deep breaths to different articles that show different breathing techniques, remember to pause and take a deep breath when needed.

Log Off. 

We are riding a rollercoaster of news. Doom Scrolling and channel surfing through social media and news channels can trigger various emotions. This is why it is crucial to set boundaries and log off/ turn off these platforms for some time. 

Stick To Your Routine.

Routines matter in uncertain times like these. Usually, when we get a wave of anxiety, our routines are the first to leave the picture. Try to do work, go to the gym, whip up something to eat, etc. Even if you don’t have a consistent routine, try to distract yourself by talking to family/friends or doing activities you love.

Self Care.

Pamper, Recharge, & Destress. With breathing being a part of self-care, take a moment to unwind and treat yourself. Lighting up some candles, taking a nice long shower/bath, & doing some skincare goes a very long way.

Donate + Research.

With all the coping mechanisms to be named, it may seem harsh to try to “ignore” reality and unwind for a bit. If that is the issue as to why you can’t bring yourself to take a breather, take this time to research organizations and donate to those you support. Educate yourself further and learn about ways you can help out the many issues going on in the world. 

Ashley Guzman is studying Advertising at The University of Texas at Austin. In her free time you can catch her exploring with family/friends and/or working on graphics.
Hi, I'm Madeline Muschalik! This is my fourth year in Her Campus; I wrote for Her Campus at Wake Forest University before transferring to UT in fall 2019. Last year I was the Her Campus Texas Co-President and Campus Correspondent & it was so rewarding. I am excited to explore Austin and learn more about our university through Texas Her Campus. Some of my hobbies include running, reading, yoga, and traveling! I am a Public Relations Major and with a minor in Entrepreneurship and certificate in Creative Writing. Outside of Her Campus I am involved in Texas American Marketing Association, Moody Communication Council, a member of the Kendra Scott WEL Institute Student Council, Texas Kappa Delta, and I am a Transfer Year Interest Group (TRIG) mentor. I love UT & all the amazing opportunities (like Her Campus) that it has to offer!