To the Girls Who Rushed but Didn’t Get a Bid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

To the Girls who Rushed & Didn’t Get a Bid

Whether you spent the last year celebrating your final moments of high school or spent it in one of your first years of college, you somehow made the decision to rush. You spent the year gathering rec letters from your top choice sorority’s alum and meeting every sorority girl you possibly could. You spent hours perfecting your outfits and stressing over the conversations you would have. But after all of that worry and effort, you ended up without a sorority. Maybe you weren’t happy with your final choices or just didn’t make the cut this year. Whatever happened I want to tell you that your college experience is still going to be wonderful!

There are a lot of perks to not being in a sorority. First of all, you will have a lot of free time to spend however you like. Being in a sorority can be very time consuming. Without the time commitment of a sorority you will enjoy more opportunities to join as many school organizations as you want, get a job and actually have time to focus on your school work.

Secondly without a sorority, you will meet friends from many different backgrounds and majors. Joining a sorority can make it difficult to become friends with people outside of Greek life. As sorority members often live with one another and schedule classes together, meeting friends outside of your sorority can be challenging. Without sorority membership you will be able to meet friends in classes and in social groups outside of Greek life.

Lastly being free from sorority membership allows you to create your own identity. Too often sorority women feel that their sorority plays a large role in creating their identity throughout their college experience. Instead of creating your college identity around your sorority letters, you can choose how to present yourself on campus. Even though you may be sad now, in the end you can still have a wonderful college experience without a bid.