self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Getting Out of A Funk 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I’m not sure about you guys, but this past week was not great. My internship has been taking over my life more and more, the oranges that I bought last Sunday got moldy after 3 days, a bunch of birds pooped on my car, ants infested my backpack at work because I had a granola bar in my side pocket, and I just generally feel TIRED most of the time. 

To be even more honest, these past few weeks have been pretty rough for me. I miss my family, I miss my best friends (neither of which go to UT), I miss my boyfriend (who’s in Seattle this semester for a super cool internship), and I’m freaking out about graduating college in December. 

I’ve never been much of a fan of change; I prefer to wrap myself up in the comfortable, known, safe aspects of my life, so I’ve been having a difficult time coping recently. And while I really believe this is a rough patch that I’ll get through, some days it’s hard to feel happy when so many parts of me are physically so far away.

For when those days happen, I’ve come up with a list of some small, simple things that can make me feel better. It’s no long term solution, but it helps me take my mind off everything and encourages me to enjoy and treasure the little things. I’m going to share mine, in hopes that it inspires you to create your own list of serotonin-inducing activities!

• Buy more books! 
    • Expanding my library and reading new stories always make me feel productive
  • Crafting! 
    • Go to Michael’s and pick out a fun DIY project. JoAnn’s has some free seasonal craft kits available the first Saturday of every month
  • Do a FULL shower
    • I’m talking skin care, body scrub, shaving, deep conditioner, lotion, etc.
  • Clean up your space! Declutter!
    • Start by making your bed and the rest will follow suit
    • Go through your closet/room and Marie Kondo it. Get rid of what doesn’t spark *joy*
  • Clean out your phone! 
    • Delete apps you never use, go through your photos, delete old messages, add new wallpapers, heck—get a whole new phone case to spice things up
  • Walk around Target 
    • Self-explanatory
  • Get some frozen yogurt/ice cream
    • Froyo makes everything better
  • Go outside! Move around!
    • Such a cliché, but it works. There’s a nice park next to my house in Austin that I like to walk around in the late afternoons
  • Watch older, nostalgic shows/movies
    • I recently started watching Gravity Falls again for the first time in years, and let me tell you: It’s still AMAZING. Adventure Time is a good one too. Or The Secret Life of an American Teenager, everything that happens in that show is so hilariously bad and insane that it will—without a doubt—make you feel better about your own life!
  • Buy something for yourself that you wanted as a child, but your parents never got you!
    • Heal your inner child!
  • Curate a playlist!
    • Finding new artists and new songs that really connect with you is one of the greatest joys in life

And that’s it! My little list of easily accessible happiness. I hope mine gives you some ideas for your own. And if you’re going through something difficult right now, please know that everyone is fighting their own battles and that you’re not in this alone, even if it might seem that way in the moment. Reach out to your loved ones, or anyone you trust, and talk it through. Things will get better. I wish you all a great day filled with love and little moments of joy!

Hello! I'm currently studying Advertising at the University of Texas at Austin. In my free time, I'm constantly baking, listening to true crime podcasts, and spending time with my family. Connect with me on IG: www.instagram.com/unorachel