Life > Experiences

From Pop Culture Enthusiast to Confident Writer: My College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As I approach the end of my college journey, I can’t help but reflect on all the incredible experiences and opportunities I’ve had. It’s been an eye-opening and transformative time for me and I’ve learned so much about myself, the world, and the people around me.

One of the most significant things I’ve learned during my time at UT Austin is that anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Before my higher education journey, I was uncertain about what I wanted to do with my life and felt overwhelmed by the seemingly endless possibilities. But after taking classes in different fields and meeting so many inspiring people, I realized that my passion for writing and pop culture was something I could turn into a career.

I’ve always loved writing and in college, I discovered that I enjoyed writing about pop culture even more. It’s fascinating to explore how movies, TV shows, and music shape our culture and reflect the values and beliefs of society. Through writing about pop culture I’ve learned to think critically and analyze the world around me, which has been invaluable in my personal and professional life.

But the most important lesson I’ve learned during my time at UT Austin is that I am not alone. I’ve met so many incredible people who share my passions and values, and together we’ve created a supportive and inclusive community. As a young woman, it’s easy to feel like you don’t belong or that your voice isn’t heard, but in college, I found a space where I could be myself and connect with others who are passionate about making a positive impact in the world.

And speaking of the world, for the first time in a long time, I’m hopeful about its future. Despite the many challenges we face, I’ve seen firsthand how my peers are committed to creating a more equitable society. Young people are leading the charge for change, and I’m proud to be a part of this movement.

To anyone out there who may be feeling uncertain about their future, I want to say this: you are not alone, and anything is possible. Follow your passions, embrace the unknown, and never be afraid to speak your truth. And most importantly, believe in yourself and the power of your voice. I can’t wait to see all the incredible things you will achieve.

Ilyanna Santos is an aspiring writer and journalist from Austin, Texas. She is currently studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin and is the Marketing and Social Media Director for Shamari Realty. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and having a good cup of tea.