Four Tips To Avoid Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The urge to procrastinate is very hard to resist. As a college student with ADD, it’s a big struggle for me. I don’t just struggle to find the motivation to start an assignment sooner, it’s also hard for me to manage my time when I have so many other things to do. I’ll end up convincing myself that the due date is far away enough for me to focus on other things or I’ll forget about it until it’s almost due. Procrastination seems to be a common problem for a lot of people, but fortunately, it’s not impossible to deal with. Here’s a list of tips for dealing with the urge to procrastinate.

1.   Find an optimal place for doing homework and studying

Everyone has their own preferences for study environments. Some people like studying in groups while others prefer to work alone. I personally like to have minimal distractions while I’m studying, so I’m more likely to seek out a secluded spot. It’s not enough to just seek out a place with the right noise volume, though. Other things to take into account are comfort and accessibility. It won’t be easy to get motivated to study if your study spot isn’t easily accessible to you, but if you’re like me, your bedroom probably also isn’t the best place to study because it’s harder to resist the urge to lie down and take a nap while there’s a bed right next to you. Some places work better for some people than for others and it may take some experimentation to figure out which study environment works best for you, but your surroundings go a long way in ensuring productivity.

2.    Breaking assignments and projects up into smaller tasks helps

When an assignment seems tough and daunting, it’s easy to want to put it off. One thing that helps me is to break it up into smaller parts. You don’t have to write an essay or do an entire assignment in one sitting.  For instance, I’ll read a set number of pages from my assigned reading before doing a few calculus problems and writing a paragraph or two of the essay I’m writing. It’s also easier to get motivated to start your work earlier if it’s being divided into smaller, more manageable parts.  

3.    Try to make a list and plan out everything you need to get done

One thing a lot of college students struggle with is time management. It’s a big adjustment to go from high school class schedules to college life. You now have to manage your time yourself with no one reminding you to do things. It’s even worse if you’re a forgetful person like me. One thing I do is make a list of everything I need to get done and sort it by priorities. That way, I can focus on the things of immediate concern first and work my way from there. Some find it helpful to keep a planner while doing this, but if you don’t want to go out and buy one, you can also use a notebook or sticky notes or an informal combination of both like I do.

4.    Don’t stress yourself out too much

Balancing schoolwork and a social life is hard and it can be pretty easy to get frustrated. And for some, frustration can cause anxiety that not only hinders their progress, but also seriously harms their mental health. In the midst of all the obligations and projects that come with college, you have to remember to take care of yourself. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep, don’t forget to eat and hydrate, and remember to take study breaks every now and then to temporarily get your mind off the stress. School is important, but so is your health.

Photo Credit 1 & 2

Clara Grosenbacher, who also goes by Maggie, is a junior English major at the University of Texas. Her interests include fitness, film theory, music, reading, cat pictures, art, writing, and memes. 
Grace is a Philosophy and Economics double major and a Government minor at the University of Texas at Austin. Most of her writing focuses on politics and civic engagement, characteristically intertwining her journalism with op-ed takes (usually nonpartisan; depends who you ask). Grace enjoys reading philosophy, reading and discussing politics, gushing over her dog, and painting in her spare time. As a true economics enthusiast, she also loves graphs.