The (Football) Season for Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As a Texan, it’s a requirement to be prideful, but as a Longhorn, it’s an absolute must to be confident and fashionable. In case you haven’t caught on, tailgates and sporting events are meant to show school pride. That being said, it’s time to ditch the homemade t-shirts with half the football team’s numbers on the back, for fashion-forward items made especially for Texas Longhorns.

“Texans revel in football, winning and competition. Texas women want to excel in all that they do and they want to look good while they do it!” said University Co-Op Women’s Buyer, Jo Nell Pierpont.

To launch the fall Longhorn wardrobe collection, the University Co-Op hosted their first fashion show on Oct. 4 featuring looks for everyone: students, parents, kids, and even your furry friends. The fashion show gave away UT gift bags filled with girly essentials: Burt’s Bees Chap Stick, Bare Escentuals foundation, a calendar, and an
over-sized bag. All guests also received 15 percent off all merchandise. Throughout the show, the Co-op gave away coupons and gift certificates.

“During tailgating events, girls have really cute clothes. I think it’s really cool for the Co-Op to have cute clothes right on The Drag!” said Sasha Sivolob, senior accounting major.

Because the Co-Op is so close to campus, it is essential for it to have all the things that students need for all occasions. Jo Nell Pierpont recently began working for the Co-Op with hopes of revamping Longhorn attire.

“When I came to Co-Op last spring, I envisioned a more feminine and fashion forward profile for our Women’s departments that would include offerings for both co-eds and Texas Exes. This year, we have more targeted product and we’re representing more fashion trends than we have in the past,” Pierpont said.

And indeed, Pierpont revamped the Co-Op’s clothing department to fit wardrobes of students and alumni. By taking current fashion trends, including the chic lace dress perfect for a cool afternoon or a night in Darrell K. Royal Stadium, students like Sivolob look forward to adding them to her own wardrobe.

Pierpont added new Texas inspired items including glamorous and bedazzled accessories, embellished denim pants, Longhorn cowboy boots, and so much more!

Want the perfect game day outfit? Pierpont suggests, “Pair little dresses paired with our distressed leather Justin boots. Or choose a glittered Jersey and work it back to one of our fabulous new dark denim skinny jeans with back pocket embellishment.”

School spirit attire doesn’t have to be drab, so light up the stadium, or arena with your horns in the air and your burnt orange attire courtesy of the fashionista’s at the Co-Op. Don’t miss out on these fabulous finds, and check out their awesome sale section. Pierpont continues to work on expanding the Co-Op’s fashion department, but until then, sparkle in rhinestone tops and shine in sequin sandals, but you won’t know until you see it for yourself! 

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.