Five trends I want to bring into Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Greige Polish

Since the good people of CND created the hue commonly referred to as “greige”, it’s been seen on nails that grace runways, hallways, and boardrooms. The best thing about one of the most ambiguous trends around is that it’s pretty much foolproof. Polish in shades of greige match just about any outfit for any season. This perk makes it ideal for the Winter/Spring transition, and perfectly wearable throughout the warmer months ahead.

Trench Coats
While my suggestion to transfer this trend may furrow the brow of some, I ask that you first use your imagination: On a pleasant day in late April you’re donning a brightly colored flirty knee-grazing springtime dress paired with your favorite taupe heels. However, the weather outside maintains a steady breeze and temperatures that don’t rise above 70. What’s a girl to do? This girl will slip on her lightweight trench in a lightly colored neutral, allowing the dress to serve as the focus piece while streamlining the outfit. Now are you starting to see things my way?

Denim on Top
Everyone knows that denim shirts are no longer only worn for manual labor, but fewer are informed about how nonchalantly put together a denim shirt, white linen shorts, and cognac colored wedges can make you look. Keep your denim lightweight and you won’t melt in the midday sun.

Chain Strap Bags
This handbag is a more shoulder-friendly alternative to large carryalls and easier to keep up with than a clutch during warm weather parties. Many of these bags are constructed with quilted leather, but if the color is kept bright it can serve as the perfect springtime accessory. Bonus points if it’s worn in an unexpected fabric.

The Wedge Bootie
This hybrid shoe proved genius during the fall months. Last semester, I saw numerous girls darting to class and across the Forty Acres in various styles of this design. They can be black and completely chic, or wild and covered in faux fur or animal print. For the upcoming season I’ll be looking for styles in bright colors with the heel of an espadrille. A lace-up peeptoe design in a light neutral would also make me very happy.

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.
Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.