tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw

Five Must-See Films This February

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.
Lisa Frankenstein

Lisa Frankenstein is a movie written by Diablo Cody and directed by Zelda Williams. If these names sound familiar it’s because they are! Diablo Cody is a female producer and has written many popular films such as Juno starring Elliot Page and Michael Cera. Zelda Williams is an actress and director who is the daughter of the late actor and comedian Robin Williams. This movie will be Williams’ directional debut and includes an unlikely duo of actress Kathryn Newton and actor Cole Sprouse. Lisa Frankenstein has the feel of a cult-classic movie in the making with a killer retro soundtrack.

Marmalade

This romance movie dips its toes into a modern-day-esque Bonnie and Clyde. This a directional debut movie by Keir O’Donnell who some might recognize from The Wedding Crashers (2005). This wild romance movie includes Daisy Jones and the Six’s Camilla Morrone, Stranger Things’ Joe Keery, and Black Adam’s Aldis Hodge. By watching the Marmalade trailer it has all the emotions of classic heist movies like A Dog Day Afternoon (1975).

Drive away dolls

In this comedy-thriller starring Geraldine Viswanathan, Margaret Qualley, and Pedro Pascal. Drive Away Dolls is a movie about two women who embark on a road trip which sounds familiar in a Thelma and Louise (1991) kind of sense. A surprising actress on the cast list is Miley Cyrus which leaves the question of who her character will be in this star-studded film.

argylle

This has to be the most anticipated film among Swifties other than the release of Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (2023). Based upon a book of the same name, that has yet to be published before its film adaptation leaves many questioning who is the author. This film is directed by Matthew Vaughn, director of Kingsman (2014), who has no relation to Taylor Swift. The idea of whether the author of the book is Taylor Swift came from the trailer of the movie itself. Many have said to have Taylor Swift elements such as the cat and the cardigan, the main character herself, Elly Conway. The same Elly Conway who is the alleged author of the not published book Argylle. What an exciting time to be involved in a movie mystery scandal!

MADAME WEB

Now this has to be the most confusing movie coming into 2024. Despite many not understanding the premise of Madame Web and yearning for a Tom Holland Spider-Man comeback, this movie does not follow Peter Parker’s story. Madame Web stars Dakota Johnson, Sydney Sweeny, Isabela Merced, and Celeste O’Connor. This is a full-fledge Spider-Woman lead movie that many do not understand yet. However, who knows what possible iconic cameos could be waiting for the audience in a Marvel movie likes this.

Madisyn Treviño (she/her) is a Rhetoric and Writing major and is serving her first year at Her Campus at Texas. She is passionate about writing, women's rights, Taylor Swift, rom-coms, discussing intersectionality, and 90s fashion. You can find more of her work on the student-run radio station, KVRX, website. IG: @0hmadi