This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

After only one semester on the 40 Acres, that seemed to pass entirely too fast, I have found that that there are five types of girlfriends that you want in order to survive tailgates, devastating football losses, bad bikini waxes, and boys. It’s hard to meet that group of girls that you can truly trust with your life, so here are my suggestions for the types of girl to look for in order to survive and thrive life as a Longhorn. 

1) The Responsible Friend

This is the girl that stays in, she’s responsible and you always have a good time together. She’s the type you want to spend your life with if you know what I’m saying. She tells you to have a good time as you head to Sixth the night before a 6:00am flight home and then holds your hair back as you vomit into your community Jester bathroom while hysterically crying between waves of nausea. She’s the one who’s there to bring you soup when you don’t feel good and bake you a cake on your birthday. She’ll sit and watch Glee with you and cry at the Cory Montieth tribute episode, she seems to be absolutely everything you’re not and by the laws of the “social norm” you should hate one another. But instead, she completes you. This girl makes the perfect roommate, she’s calm enough to encourage you not to go out every night, but holds no judgement when you inevitably end up waking her up as you stumble in drunk.

2) The Party Friend

This is the girl that convinced you to hit up the Sigma Chi bar tab the night before your 6:00 am flight home. She’s always down for a good time and a shot… or eight. This is the girl that you can’t be trusted alone with because when left to your own devices and a bottle of Smirnoff there will inevitably be a sh*t show, starring the two of you. She’s got the best stories about “This one night…” unless of course she can’t remember what happened! This is the girl you want to go to JCL with because she knows absolutely everyone, and everyone is always happy to see her! Most commonly known for the slurred phrases “I’m not drunk” and “I never puke”.  The only time in her life she’s organized was when she planned your spring break back in January, just to make sure you all had a good time! 

3) The Honest Friend

Everyone needs that girl that is just a little too honest.  She’s the one that keeps it real and minimizes inevitable drama amongst friends. She’ll tell the truth about you favorite shirt that adds ten pounds, or inform you that it’s below forty outside, so no, a crop top is not a good choice to wear DT for Thirsty Thursday. She’ll be harsh when you get caught up on one guy that treats you like dirt, and she’ll call you on it when you start blaming PMS for your bad mood. This girl is single handedly responsible for making sure you look best in all the pictures you posted to Facebook last night, and is always sure to remind you, never take a photo with a cup in your hand! 

4) The Sorority Friend

Best identified for her monogrammed long sleeve, the washed out comfort colors tee shirts she wears a size too big, riding boots, and the inordinate amount of greek letters written on all of her belongings, this girl is the definition of a social butterfly. She’s knows about every frat party on a given Friday night, and her closet has an outfit for every themed party you two attend. She has an opinion on absolutely every Greek sorority and fraternity on campus and can immediately tell you the stereotypes of each chapter, which to be honest comes in handy when you’re chattin’ up that Frat star you met at Love Goat last night.  The sorority girl is your walking guidebook to West Campus etiquette and culture, and whether you’re already broadcasting your excitement of being a PNM or you are an extremely proud GDI, this girl is good to have around!  

5) The Goof Ball Friend

She bursts into your room singing showtunes. She constantly laughs and tries to make everyone happy. She sacrifices absolutely anything for a joke. She always does ridiculous things that make you question her sanity. In the end she’s there to help you loosen up and brighten your day! In the middle of finals week or right before midterms it’s always good to have a friend that will make you smile. She’ll sit and listen to your boy problems and come up with a joke about how you’re way better off without him! She’s always down for an adventure, and to be honest, she keeps you young! She lives life with childlike awe and it makes you stop and appreciate life every now and then.

So whether you prefer a quiet night playing cards in the SAC or hitting up Dirty Sixth on a school night, these friends help you live a fun and balanced life in your time at the great University of Texas!