This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Some people get lucky and find their person on the first try, others have to go through a series of trash men til they hit the jackpot. I’d say it’s unfortunate to be the person who has to go through the bad relationships in order to find the one, but in reality, it isn’t. When you find your person, your life becomes complete. Loving them and life with them is so easy it just feels right.

How do you know you’ve found your person? You’ve found your person when you meet the person who makes your heart beat a little faster each time you see them or think about them. The one who accepts you for who you are, even if you pour your cereal before the milk. The one who loves everything you hate about yourself. The one who feels like home. The one who gives you compliments every day, even when you look like you just got hit by a bus. His favorite pictures of you aren’t the one’s you hired a photographer for, they’re the off-guard ones he captures of you, the facetime screenshots, and the embarrassing snap memories. He views you better than you view yourself. All the insecurities you have about yourself, he doesn’t see, because to him they don’t exist. You are a diamond in his eyes, and he will make sure you know it. He will treat you with love, respect, kindness, in a way no one has ever done before. Opening your car door, surprising you with love letters and random gifts “just because”. He will always put you first. Not only the first few days of your relationship, but every day of your life. The effort he shows will never fade away, he will never have you questioning if you’re the one he wants. You’ll never wonder where his head is at because he’ll endlessly show you that you’re the one for him. This love that you have with him, is a love like no other, the type that actually does last forever with a happily ever after.

As much as I hate that I was one of the girls who had to go through the bad to get to the good, it only showed me how lucky I am to have met him. Being with him showed me how low my standards were before and how I should have been treated from the start. He showed me that what I thought was “love” before, wasn’t. I now understand why the word “love” is so powerful. It’s because it’s hard to find.

I wish I would have met him sooner, but our love story goes so well, that I wouldn’t change it in any way. We met a few months before the world shut down and fell in love the second that the pandemic hit. Being quarantined and distanced away from each other for a huge chunk of the first year of our relationship was extremely frustrating. Yet he never failed at making me happy and spent each day and night on the phone with me. We then found out there was a chance for us to both go to our dream college together, and although it was a risky decision for me at the time, I couldn’t be any happier of where we are now.

He makes each day of being a college student who has no clue what she is doing with her life feel a hundred times less stressful. I used to hate working out because of how incapable I felt, especially running, but he made me fall in love with the gym. Each time I complete a set or reach a new accomplishment, there he is, cheering me on and telling me he’s proud. Exploring Austin with him has been so much fun, whether it’s going on a quick trip for boba or driving aimlessly around Austin.

I have found my person, and you’ll know when you’ve found yours too.

Communication and Leadership major @ UT Austin. IG: @stephanie.inclan