Finding the Balance: Fall 2013 Resolutions for UT Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

“Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” –George Bernard Shaw

January isn’t the only month for making resolutions. With the start of September, UT students are making that slow adjustment from summer to fall by waking up a little earlier, organizing our calendars, and resolving to be better this semester. We brave optimism; making resolutions, new semester-goals, and inspiring some big life changes in ourselves and others. To start, we ask ourselves and friends: What’s new for you this semester? Awakening from a long summer, chances are a lot has changed, maybe involuntarily, but the important changes are produced by our own resolve to succeed. Bearing that in mind, we are spotlighting some extraordinary students who have decided to mix things up this semester; by changing their attitudes, changing their practices, and from that, changing their lives. 

Claire Petrosky (Senior, Nursing Student)

Along with new semester jitters comes, for most seniors, the panic that settles with the realization they will be graduating soon. Claire Petrosky, a December, 2013 graduate of UT’s nursing program, is feeling the pressure to finish strong, and cap-off her college career knowing she has lived fully. She revealed that her last semester, may in-fact be her toughest to date. While other seniors are kicking it back, she has nursed herself of all senioritis and is taking her academics in full-swing. “I’ve always worked hard and done well in school, the real challenge I am facing is time management.” she stated. 

This semester, in an attempt to balance social-life with academics, Claire moved into a spacious Hyde Park home with five new roommates. “Most people struggle at balancing academics with social-life, for me, my academics have always taken presentence over my relationships.” Claire, who revealed that her friendships have suffered in the past, due to her busy nursing schedule, wants to surround herself with “positive relationships”, this semester.” My advice to incoming students, “she said, “is study hard but remember the people who helped you get through the rough times.” 

Kristin Arteaga (Junior, Pre-Med/Neurobiology)

On the other side of town, Kristin Arteaga, a junior Pre-Med and Neurobiology student, has come into a similar situation as Claire, but, with a different perspective. “This year I have decided to live with three new roommates,” Kristin related, “but, I have also decided to take my academics more seriously because last year was my first year at this large university, and time management was a struggle. This year I am setting my priorities straight by taking fewer hours, to really focus on raising my GPA, and achieving my dream of getting into Med-school.”

Time management is definitely a common problem among many students, but that still doesn’t prevent them from accepting new challenges. “I want to learn Russian, this year.” Kristin stated which sparked my initial interest in her. “I would never have imagined myself doing something like this. But after participating in a few classes last semester, I realized that I really, and rather unexpectedly, enjoy it.” Kristin, who has decided to place Russian amongst her top-priorities, hopes to travel to Russia next summer.

Madi and Promise Maino (Freshman, Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures; Junior, Nutrition Science)

The transition from high school to college is a definite challenge, where the struggle to balance work and play is something every freshman will learn. Madi Maino, however, is one motivated freshman with an advantage: her adored older sister, Promise Maino, who is currently a junior, studying Nutrition at UT. In high school, the sisters played on the same lacrosse and hockey teams, and this year, Madi has decided to follow her sister’s footsteps and become a cadet in the UT-Army Reserve Officer Training Course program (UT-AROTC). This year, Promise is striving for balance; something she is trying to impart on her little sister, Madi. “My advice for my sister is don’t over exert yourself. Take one thing at a time and try not to spread yourself too thin. Do a couple things that interest you and give them 110%.” This is wise advice from big sister, who is currently juggling academics, a “great relationship”, and the high-ranking position of company First Sargent, within UT-AROTC.  

Madi responded to her big sisters comments by saying, “I learned what not to do from watching Promise get in trouble when she was a kid. But recently, I’ve learned how to be a more effective leader by watching what an inspiration she is. She helped me through my whole life.” Madi who seems to embrace the nickname ‘Lil’Maino’, plans to make a name for herself, however. “This semester I am going out for the UT-Lacrosse team, and really want to put forth the effort in maintaining my grades, and making friends.” Madi is going into this year excited to do well and stated if she has trouble, that’s just a reason to work harder. 

Without a doubt the attitudes these ladies exude will help them succeed this semester. The best of luck to them, and every student this fall. Hook’em!