Life > Experiences

February, The Month of Love, Has Me Thinking About Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Dear Friend,

There was an open mic night in the UT Union Patio. I snaked in behind the tables and sat next to a performer holding a helmet – a prop for their stand-up comedy act. Then, I saw you, another performer, grace the stage to deliver an original poem about identity. It was thoughtful, and I figured you had so much courage to perform for this college audience. 

Days later, as I walked past the turtle pond on the way to my UGS class, I noticed a familiar face on one of the orange chairs around the rocks. It was you! I don’t remember how I was feeling or what compelled me to say hi, but I think I really wanted to get to know you, and I was longing to have a friend. I climbed the wooden steps by the pond, went up to you, and asked if she had done spoken-word poetry at the open mic night, and you affirmed it.

Introductions and contact exchanges went pleasantly. I wasn’t sure what to expect at the time; honestly, I thought we might grow apart early on. We almost did, hardly meeting each other for a few weeks last semester, but things turned around this spring. Valentine’s Day had me thinking about some of the relationships in my life, and you came to mind – one of my first college friends, distinctly connected with me regarding Longhorn culture and identity.

If the circumstances had been just slightly different – if I hadn’t walked past the turtle pond, or if I had walked there but hadn’t looked up where you were sitting, or if you hadn’t chosen to sit there at all – then I might walk by you a hundred more times during my UT career but you would be just another stranger in my life. 

Deeply romantic relationships, like with significant others or between married people, tend to get special treatment in February, the month of love (especially on Valentine’s Day). But I enjoy the effort to spotlight other types of connections, like friendships or even your relationship with yourself. We love self-love and self-care!

I’ve never actually dated anyone, and I’m not sure what it feels like to have sparks go off in your mind and your heart swell when you look into that special someone’s eyes. But I have gotten to know this amazing college friend, and I want to take this time to love and be grateful for your fun personality and infectious energy. You are incredible, and I’m looking forward to more lovely Februaries with you! 

XOXO,

Medha

Medha Sarin (she/her) is a freshman journalism major at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a K-pop and K-drama fan and a longtime lover of Bollywood music, plus she's gradually entering the Swiftiedom. Her hobbies are watching TV and movies, listening to music and podcasts, and doing yoga (that is, on the rare occasions when she can get herself to exercise).