Fashion Sense with Lisa Bradkin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Let’s face it freshmen, your high school days are over, which means your Abercrombie tops and Hollister days are over. It’s time for a wardrobe upgrade, so you can distinguish yourselves from high school-ers and adopt a more mature, collegiette™ style.

I talked to Senior Stylist Lisa Bradkin at LOFT and here are her recommendations for you.

1. Trade in your faded denim with holes for dark denim.
  2. Toss the skin-tight stretchy tees for textures that are dressier. Comfort is still key.
  3. Use accessories to express personal style.

Bradkin is a huge believer in accessories, but it’s only understandable that accessories can easily be overdone or flat out ignored, so what are the most important accessories a girl should own?

1. Medium sized hoop earrings in silver and gold

2. A pendant necklace with a little sparkle
  3. Also a longer and more chunky necklace for those who are more daring
  4. A big ring- Bradkin’s personal favorite because there are so many out there, they’re fun and great conversation starters
  5. Ballet flats (no more treading around in your running shoes! Save those for the gym), espadrilles are also a good shoe to invest in- they’re cute and sophisticated
  6. Ditch those Old Navy rubber flip-flops! You can wear them to the beach, but quit buying rubber flip-flops and go for leather.

As for you upperclassmen who are starting to build your professional wardrobe, you’ve probably heard this once, but Bradkin will tell you again-

1. Own a great pencil skirt. She recommends the LOFT Scuba™ skirts- they look professional but feel like sweats!
  2. Tailored shapes in knit fabrics are a must.
  3. Cardigans and trousers of earthy tones.
  4. Last, but not least, invest in a great suit!

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.